Sky HD Channels too quiet

Old March 19th 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

Default Sky HD Channels too quiet

On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

Old March 19th 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Ed wrote:
On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

Could this be due to the HD channels using DD sound, and DD is quieter,
the same with DVDs.

Old March 19th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 19 Mar, 13:16, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:
Ed wrote:
On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

Could this be due to the HD channels using DD sound, and DD is quieter,
the same with DVDs.

DVDs aren't necessarily quiter. They have greater dynamic range so the
quiet bits sounds quieter and the louder bits sounds louder in
comparison (but not necessarily louder overall)

Doc

Old March 19th 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

HD programs often have Dolby Digital Sound. Dolby Digital as used by DVD
requires a -27db normalisation compared to normal PCM. It is not
unreasonable to assume that DD for DVB is the same. This makes DD sound
quiter, and is a right pain for HD DVB where PCM adverts at normal volume
are broadcast at the ad breaks.

Old March 19th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

John Russell wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

HD programs often have Dolby Digital Sound. Dolby Digital as used by
DVD requires a -27db normalisation compared to normal PCM. It is not
unreasonable to assume that DD for DVB is the same. This makes DD
sound quiter, and is a right pain for HD DVB where PCM adverts at
normal volume are broadcast at the ad breaks.

This was my thinking on the matter.

I know when I author DVDs in DD the volume is lowered, if I leave the
normalisation at DVD recommended setting.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old March 19th 07, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
k...
John Russell wrote:

HD programs often have Dolby Digital Sound. Dolby Digital as used by
DVD requires a -27db normalisation compared to normal PCM. It is not
unreasonable to assume that DD for DVB is the same. This makes DD
sound quiter, and is a right pain for HD DVB where PCM adverts at
normal volume are broadcast at the ad breaks.

This was my thinking on the matter.

I know when I author DVDs in DD the volume is lowered, if I leave the
normalisation at DVD recommended setting.

OFCOM have rules on advert volume levels - presumably the broadcasters have
to take this into account - or if they don't, they strictly speaking should.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.
http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/

Old March 19th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

the dog from that film you saw wrote:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message k...
John Russell wrote:

HD programs often have Dolby Digital Sound. Dolby Digital as used by
DVD requires a -27db normalisation compared to normal PCM. It is not
unreasonable to assume that DD for DVB is the same. This makes DD
sound quiter, and is a right pain for HD DVB where PCM adverts at
normal volume are broadcast at the ad breaks.

This was my thinking on the matter.

I know when I author DVDs in DD the volume is lowered, if I leave the
normalisation at DVD recommended setting.

OFCOM have rules on advert volume levels - presumably the
broadcasters have to take this into account - or if they don't, they
strictly speaking should.

Yes, they have rules, some ignore them, others use compression it seems
to make them sound louder.

Old March 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"the dog from that film you saw" wrote
in message ...

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
k...
John Russell wrote:

HD programs often have Dolby Digital Sound. Dolby Digital as used by
DVD requires a -27db normalisation compared to normal PCM. It is not
unreasonable to assume that DD for DVB is the same. This makes DD
sound quiter, and is a right pain for HD DVB where PCM adverts at
normal volume are broadcast at the ad breaks.

This was my thinking on the matter.

I know when I author DVDs in DD the volume is lowered, if I leave the
normalisation at DVD recommended setting.

OFCOM have rules on advert volume levels - presumably the broadcasters
have to take this into account - or if they don't, they strictly speaking
should.

SKY have both HD and SD versions of the HD channels I watch. They probably
do nothing more than scale SD ads for HD and leave the volume at what would
be the correct level for the SD channel. They need to realise that many HD
broadcasts include DD and hence have lower average volume levels, and
consequently lower the PCM volume for none DD broadcasts on all HD channels.
That way users know they have to increase the volume for HD channels but
are not faced with blowing their speakers out when the ads come on.

Old March 19th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

"John Russell" wrote in message

SKY have both HD and SD versions of the HD channels I watch. They probably
do nothing more than scale SD ads for HD and leave the volume at what
would be the correct level for the SD channel. They need to realise that
many HD broadcasts include DD and hence have lower average volume levels,
and consequently lower the PCM volume for none DD broadcasts on all HD
channels. That way users know they have to increase the volume for HD
channels but are not faced with blowing their speakers out when the ads
come on.

if you were to complain to ofcom when it happens, they would force sky to do
something.

Old March 19th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Dr Hfuhruhurr" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 19 Mar, 13:16, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:
Ed wrote:
On my dad's new HD sky box the HD channels are far quieter than the
regular channels? Is there a way to even them up in a hidden menu?

He can correct the volume from the HDMI input to the TV as opposed to
the regular tv channels, but that just makes everything louder, not
just the HD channels IYSWIM

Could this be due to the HD channels using DD sound, and DD is quieter,
the same with DVDs.

DVDs aren't necessarily quiter. They have greater dynamic range so the
quiet bits sounds quieter and the louder bits sounds louder in
comparison (but not necessarily louder overall)

Doc

The problem arises when you're playing these DD tracks through two speakers.
On the rare DVD's that you can choose a stereo track over the default DD
(when playing through two TV speakers), they become far more audible. It is
the same for listening to Sky HD through two puny TV speakers. The whole
thing is geared for multichannel surround sound, and the HD channels can
sound very weak in volume through anything but. Use a SPDIF line out to a
multi-speaker system and they spring to life in all cases.