E4+1, higher resolution than E4.

Old March 15th 07, 01:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

Default E4+1, higher resolution than E4.

How come E4's 'plus one' channel is broadcast in 720x576, when the main E4
is broadcast at only 544x576? This seems really odd to me. With Film4, for
example, it is the other way around. The main Film4 has the higher
resolution, and the plus one version is lower. That makes sense (although
it'd be better if they all went out at 720x576), as most people will aim to
view the main channel, and use the plus one for if they find themselves
running a little late, or have missed their desired film for whatever
reason.

I've only recently discovered the way E4 does this, by watching shows on it
and then catching a glimpse of the 'repeat' on its plus one. I thought it
was just my eyes, until I looked online and found a site that lists all the
resolutions and bitrates of the Freeview channels.

Pays to remember this when you're recording something for archiving
too....same with Film4 (films recorded off Film4+1 are a blocky mess!)

Old March 15th 07, 05:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Slitheen wrote:
How come E4's 'plus one' channel is broadcast in 720x576, when the main E4
is broadcast at only 544x576?

Might be connected to the fact E4 is on Mux 2 (managed by ITV/C4) and E4+1
is on Mux C (managed by NGW). The EPG data on the BBC and NGW muxes seems less
flaky than on Mux 2 or A, better all round really then ?

--
Mark
Old March 15th 07, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Mark Carver" wrote in message

Slitheen wrote:
How come E4's 'plus one' channel is broadcast in 720x576, when the
main E4 is broadcast at only 544x576?

Might be connected to the fact E4 is on Mux 2 (managed by ITV/C4) and
E4+1 is on Mux C (managed by NGW). The EPG data on the BBC and NGW muxes
seems less flaky than on Mux 2 or A, better all round really then ?

And Film4+1 is on Mux 2, which, I suppose, is why it is lower quality than
Film4 on Mux D.

(Where I am (Crystal Palace transmitter) Mux 2 is weaker and more
susceptible to impulse interference, so I avoid it where possible.)

--
Max Demian

Old March 15th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 15, 9:25 am, "Max Demian" wrote:

And Film4+1 is on Mux 2, which, I suppose, is why it is lower quality than
Film4 on Mux D.

(Where I am (Crystal Palace transmitter) Mux 2 is weaker and more
susceptible to impulse interference, so I avoid it where possible.)

Yes, don't forget the BBC and NGW muxes are at 16QAM, Mux 2 and A at
64QAM, so the former are more robust.

Old March 15th 07, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bruce Stewart

Slitheen wrote:

How come E4's 'plus one' channel is broadcast in 720x576, when the main E4
is broadcast at only 544x576? This seems really odd to me. With Film4, for
example, it is the other way around. The main Film4 has the higher
resolution, and the plus one version is lower. That makes sense (although
it'd be better if they all went out at 720x576), as most people will aim
to view the main channel, and use the plus one for if they find themselves
running a little late, or have missed their desired film for whatever
reason.

I've only recently discovered the way E4 does this, by watching shows on
it and then catching a glimpse of the 'repeat' on its plus one. I thought
it was just my eyes, until I looked online and found a site that lists all
the resolutions and bitrates of the Freeview channels.

I don't suppose you could paste the URL?

Pays to remember this when you're recording something for archiving
too....same with Film4 (films recorded off Film4+1 are a blocky mess!)

I was shocked when I first seen it, I thought was badly encoded material,
but seeing on Film4 itself, it was worrying how bad F4+1 was.

Bruce S.
--
Replace the by by blueyonder
Old March 16th 07, 01:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Bruce Stewart" wrote in message
k...
Slitheen wrote:

[...]

Well here is a PDF containing the info on the various MUX, which I'm afraid
is not the original place I garnered the knowledge. Unfortunately, I never
bookmarked that site and have forgot the address. This PDF contains all the
bitrates, broadcast resolutions and audio quality of the various Freeview
channels though. It doesn't contain info on Film4+1 though....unless I have
missed it. But Film4+1 is definately 544x576, as opposed to 720x576. I think
the actual video bitrate is less too, IIRC. Dunno about audio.....think that
was the same.

http://www.aums30.dsl.pipex.com/DTT_MUX_DATA.pdf

If I stumble on the original website I first found, I'll post a link.

Old March 16th 07, 01:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

Slitheen wrote:

[...]

Actually, here is an HTML version that PDF, and this does contain the
details of FF+1, they must have updated it and forgot to do the PDF. So
that's:
http://www.aums30.dsl.pipex.com/home.htm

Old March 16th 07, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bruce Stewart

Slitheen wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

Bruce S.
--
Replace the by by blueyonder
Old March 17th 07, 07:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Slitheen"
wrote:
Actually, here is an HTML version that PDF, and this does contain the
details of FF+1, they must have updated it and forgot to do the PDF. So
that's:
http://www.aums30.dsl.pipex.com/home.htm

Excellent webpage, thanks for the link!

You're very welcome! Yeah, it's useful to have all that info in one place.
For me, it confirmed a lot of what my own eyes were telling me about the
various channels and their multiplexes....but it's good to see it in black
n' white.

Old March 17th 07, 08:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Fraser (News)

In article ,
Slitheen wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Slitheen"
wrote:
Actually, here is an HTML version that PDF, and this does contain the
details of FF+1, they must have updated it and forgot to do the PDF.
So that's: http://www.aums30.dsl.pipex.com/home.htm

Excellent webpage, thanks for the link!

You're very welcome! Yeah, it's useful to have all that info in one
place. For me, it confirmed a lot of what my own eyes were telling me
about the various channels and their multiplexes....but it's good to see
it in black n' white.

It could do with being rewritten by someone who's idea of an HTML editor is
MS office. There are huge chunks of HTML in there that isn't doing anything.

|\ /| ark Fraser