Just had a new 32" LCD TV but??

Old March 13th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ken

Default Just had a new 32" LCD TV but??

If I set the 4.3 mode the picture has black lines around it.
The other options, on the remote zoom button, are zoom, full or subtitle but
with no explanations, in the very poor manual.
In these other modes the top and/or the bottom of the picture is cut off. I
would of thought there would of been an auto setting but there is not.

If I had bought a 26" set with 4.3 format I wouldn't of got these problems
and physically the size of the picture would of been roughly the same and
probably with a cheaper purchase price.

Perhaps all my fault for buying a Dabsvalue and having to accept you get
what you pay for. Do I keep it and persevere or do I send it back and
research more thoroughly. Perhaps my old CRT 28" 4.3 screen doe have a
better picture than these LCDs.

Oh what do I do?

Old March 13th 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in
:

If I set the 4.3 mode the picture has black lines around it.
The other options, on the remote zoom button, are zoom, full or
subtitle but with no explanations, in the very poor manual.
In these other modes the top and/or the bottom of the picture is cut
off. I would of thought there would of been an auto setting but there
is not.

Most TV pictures these days are broadcast in 14x9, so a W/S set will, if
set to regular or 4x3, display black borders all the way round.

If you set the TV to 14x9, the picture will fit top to bottom; and if
you go to 16x9 the picture will fill the screen.

As you say, in this mode the top and bottom is cut off, but bear in mind
that a proramme made in 14x9 will be intended to be viewed in 16x9 (and
in auto this is what you will get), so the top and bottom bits are,
hopefully, unimportant

If I had bought a 26" set with 4.3 format I wouldn't of got these
problems and physically the size of the picture would of been roughly
the same and probably with a cheaper purchase price.

The problems are due to the transition to full widescreen from 4x3 and
having to make it bearable on both old and new sets - if you go back to
4x3 your problems will gwt worse as widescreen takes over fully.

Perhaps my old CRT 28" 4.3 screen does have a better picture than these
LCDs.

'Course it does, it's why I ditched my posh LCD and went back to CRT
(but still flat widescreen.

My comments above only apply to the four widescreen sets I've had, but
I'm sure they're pretty typical ....YMMV ;-)

mike

Oh what do I do?

Old March 13th 07, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ken

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , mike
wrote:

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in
:

If I set the 4.3 mode the picture has black lines around it.
The other options, on the remote zoom button, are zoom, full or
subtitle but with no explanations, in the very poor manual.
In these other modes the top and/or the bottom of the picture is cut
off. I would of thought there would of been an auto setting but there
is not.

Most TV pictures these days are broadcast in 14x9,

Er, that's wrong. Most programmes are made in full 16:9. What they end
up being broadcast in depends on the source: analogue (only a few years
broadcasting left) might be 14:9 - only mentioned in passing because
surely no-one would buy an TV with only an analogue tuner in these days
- but all digital sources (cable, DTT, DSAT) will be full 16:9.

It would be helpful if the OP could post again with the make/model of
the TV just so that we can check that it has a proper DTT tuner before
we go any further?

Dabsvalue Digimate LTV 3203H. Sorry it is a cheapo!!!!

Ken

Old March 13th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ken

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Ken" Reply to NG only
wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
. ..
It would be helpful if the OP could post again with the make/model of
the TV just so that we can check that it has a proper DTT tuner before
we go any further?

Dabsvalue Digimate LTV 3203H. Sorry it is a cheapo!!!!

Hmm. Cheap or not, it's over 8 years since the launch of DTT and those
evil manufacturers are STILL producing and selling analogue-only TVs.
The physical ratio of that TV is proper 16:9 (some of the nastier LCDs
are 15:9 would you believe!), and it can decode 720p HDTV... but it
hasn't got a DTT tuner :-(

Ok then my thoughts on the problem you posted about - if it's only got
zoom, full or subtitle, and in 4:3 mode you see black lines around it
you must be feeding it an analogue signal and using its own analogue
tuner. It's lacking the 14:9 zoom mode which would fill the full height.
In your boat I would return it under the Distance Selling Directive and
do a bit more research before buying another one :-)

Good advice and I have just completed the online returns procedure and got
my returns number and they are coming for it Thursday. What really made my
mind up is my 7 year old CRT 28" Bush only a 200 job and I know not in the
top league but we have it in the bedroom. We have just been comparing the
two side by side and the picture, in our opinion, is sharper and all round
better than the new LCD.

But where on earth do I go from here as one poster said he was glad to get
back to CRT - shall I and are they all cheap and nasty being phased out in
favour of the LCD screens. Or do I need to pay a heck of a lot more, for a
LCD, and will that guarantee a satisfactory picture, etc.

HELP!!!!

Old March 13th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Horovan

These are exactly my sentiments ...CRT is at the zenith of its technology
and the main makers and retailers seem to have conspired to remove CRT TVs
from their ranges....my tip?.... see if you can have a look at Samsung's CRT
models with their new slimline tube ....

My guess is that over the last 12 months a helluva lot of people have
changed over to LCD/Plasma and been disappointed in the picture quality not
mention the tiny tinny speakers.They are holding on to their new purchases
because they (falsely) believe they are going to get HD pictures for free
from the BBC and ITV et al over DST and DTT when Digital Switchover comes.
Gordon Brown wants the money folks so there will be no HD4FREE.

It has removed 4529 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 13th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Horovan

Samsung Slimfit CRT Tvs ...30% slimmer than traditional CRT sets ...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/s...hdtv/index.asp

Old March 13th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Ken" Reply to NG only

Ok then my thoughts on the problem you posted about - if it's only got
zoom, full or subtitle, and in 4:3 mode you see black lines around it
you must be feeding it an analogue signal and using its own analogue
tuner. It's lacking the 14:9 zoom mode which would fill the full height.
In your boat I would return it under the Distance Selling Directive and
do a bit more research before buying another one :-)

i'd pay the 30 to pick up a freeview box and feed the tv the 16:9 channels
he desires.

--
Gareth.
A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.

Old March 13th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Horovan

Samsung Slimfit CRT Tvs ...30% slimmer than traditional CRT sets ...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/t...z419d8xxeu.asp

On sale on-line at Comet.

Old March 13th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

Mike Henry wrote in
:

Most TV pictures these days are broadcast in 14x9,

Er, that's wrong. Most programmes are made in full 16:9.

I assumed from his post Ken was watching in analogue, as I do, because
where I live analogue is a helluva sight better than digital most of the
time - I find the intermittent pixelation and sound muting on digital very
distracting.

His experience seems to match mine so I made an assumption.

Sorry

But it _was_ correct...

mike
Old March 13th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ken

"Horovan" wrote in message

Samsung Slimfit CRT Tvs ...30% slimmer than traditional CRT sets ...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/t...z419d8xxeu.asp

On sale on-line at Comet.

Do you have one or have you seen one in action?
It looks good - may be slim but weighing 53kg - heavy!!
Ken