Another classy aerial install

Old March 12th 07, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
fred

Default Another classy aerial install

This pair of aerials is installed on two adjoining blocks of flats in Glasgow,
probably housing association by the look. How could they get one right
and one soooo wrong?

http://i19.tinypic.com/2itlvmq.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/2nrhgrd.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/2s1oi2w.jpg

First thoughts were that the correct aerial is for terrestrial and the other is
an attempt at satellite or DX reception ;-)

Masts are good and sturdy and have line of site to Darvel directly south,
the preferred choice of Blackhill to the west being obscured by the
buildings to the right in the first pic which are higher than they look. No
idea why they chose 20ft masts as there is line of site to the transmitter
from the pavement, still it must be worth the money if there's a 20ft mast.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old March 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
fred wrote:
This pair of aerials is installed on two adjoining blocks of flats in
Glasgow, probably housing association by the look. How could they get one
right and one soooo wrong?

http://i19.tinypic.com/2itlvmq.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/2nrhgrd.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/2s1oi2w.jpg

First thoughts were that the correct aerial is for terrestrial and the
other is an attempt at satellite or DX reception ;-)

Caught by the wind?

Masts are good and sturdy and have line of site to Darvel directly south,
the preferred choice of Blackhill to the west being obscured by the
buildings to the right in the first pic which are higher than they look.
No idea why they chose 20ft masts as there is line of site to the
transmitter from the pavement, still it must be worth the money if
there's a 20ft mast.

Are you sure somewhere in Glasgow can 'see' Darvel? There's a range of
hills in the way, surely?

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old March 12th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
fred

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:
This pair of aerials is installed on two adjoining blocks of flats in
Glasgow, probably housing association by the look. How could they get one
right and one soooo wrong?

http://i19.tinypic.com/2itlvmq.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/2nrhgrd.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/2s1oi2w.jpg

First thoughts were that the correct aerial is for terrestrial and the
other is an attempt at satellite or DX reception ;-)

Caught by the wind?

I did wonder but the parts are so perfectly in line that I thought it must be
intentional, the backwards part isn't resting on the mast.

Masts are good and sturdy and have line of site to Darvel directly south,
the preferred choice of Blackhill to the west being obscured by the
buildings to the right in the first pic which are higher than they look.
No idea why they chose 20ft masts as there is line of site to the
transmitter from the pavement, still it must be worth the money if
there's a 20ft mast.

Are you sure somewhere in Glasgow can 'see' Darvel? There's a range of
hills in the way, surely?

Certainly no architecture between the aerial and the hills which is what I
really meant but the west end of Glasgow has a pretty clear path, 395m
above sea for the transmitting aerial with 303m highest hill in the path and
that fairly close to the transmitter.
Old March 12th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
fred wrote:

Certainly no architecture between the aerial and the hills which is what
I really meant but the west end of Glasgow has a pretty clear path, 395m
above sea for the transmitting aerial with 303m highest hill in the path
and that fairly close to the transmitter.

but the earth is curved ;-)

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old March 16th 07, 01:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"fred" wrote in message ...
This pair of aerials is installed on two adjoining blocks of flats in
Glasgow,
probably housing association by the look. How could they get one right
and one soooo wrong?

LOL. I saw some not far from my house the other day pointing *completely*
skywards/vertical. They had no chimney on their house, so had attached two
aerials, side by side, on/near the guttering at the back of the
house....with a line of sight to a transmitter on the freakin moon, from the
looks of things. The aerials should have been pointing to Winter
Hill....which would mean pointing straight out/central from the *front* of
the house. It's hard to explain what I actually saw - if I remember, I'll
grab some pics and upload the link. It was quite unbelievable, and I'm sure
that they must have served no purpose......I mean, I'm far from an expert,
but don't TV aerials need a line of sight to a transmitter???