Freeview Box - Dolby Digital out?

Old March 11th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

Default Freeview Box - Dolby Digital out?

I have bought a new Freeview box, a Philips DTR210. On the box, it says it
has a SPDIF Dolby Digital bitstream output....which is a coaxial output. It
carries the Dolby Digital logo on the box too. But do any Freeview channels
actually broadcast in Dolby? I was dubious of it to start with, and now I
have connected it to my Dolby amp via coaxial, my suspicions are confirmed.
It is just indicated as a normal stereo sound stream, as I suspected it
would be. I wasn't expecting some 5.1 magic to spring out of a Freeview box
like, but I wondered if it was going to be Dolby 2.0 or something. And if it
was Dolby stereo, my amp would indicate that to me by having the Dolby LED
light up. Which it doesn't.

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are there
times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Thanks for any input.

Old March 11th 07, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

Slitheen wrote:

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are there
times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Well they certainly broadcast the pro-logic encoded stereo stream, so if
you feed the audio out into a pro-logic amp you will get surround sound.
Don't know about DD though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 11th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:55:19 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Slitheen wrote:

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are there
times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Well they certainly broadcast the pro-logic encoded stereo stream, so if
you feed the audio out into a pro-logic amp you will get surround sound.
Don't know about DD though.

My Pioneer box has the same. Apparently it's Future-proofing, but
whether Freeview could actually broadcast 5.1 is not known.

Marky P.

Old March 11th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

Slitheen wrote:
I have bought a new Freeview box, a Philips DTR210. On the box, it
says it has a SPDIF Dolby Digital bitstream output....which is a
coaxial output. It carries the Dolby Digital logo on the box too. But
do any Freeview channels actually broadcast in Dolby? I was dubious
of it to start with, and now I have connected it to my Dolby amp via
coaxial, my suspicions are confirmed. It is just indicated as a
normal stereo sound stream, as I suspected it would be. I wasn't
expecting some 5.1 magic to spring out of a Freeview box like, but I
wondered if it was going to be Dolby 2.0 or something. And if it was
Dolby stereo, my amp would indicate that to me by having the Dolby
LED light up. Which it doesn't.

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are
there times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Thanks for any input.

None broadcast DD at the present time, I suppose it's possible they could in
the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old March 11th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Slitheen wrote:

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are
there times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Well they certainly broadcast the pro-logic encoded stereo stream, so if
you feed the audio out into a pro-logic amp you will get surround sound.
Don't know about DD though.

--
Cheers,

Pro-Logic can act on any stereo sound source though....I use my Pro Logic II
capable amp to give a very decent matrixed 5.1 soundfield from quite
literally anything that outputs stereo. So really, any old digi box with
left/right analogue outputs can do what this Freeview box is doing. If you
ask me, it's a gimmick designed to attract custom. As it was this feature
that caught my eye over similarly priced boxes. Or like the chap below says,
perhaps it is 'future-proofing'?

Not that I'm too bothered though, I only got it as a spare box for use on
the rare occasions when I'm recording on my single tuner Freeview/HDD/DVD
recorder and wish to watch another Freeview channel. Oh well.

Old March 12th 07, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Slitheen wrote:

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are
there times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Well they certainly broadcast the pro-logic encoded stereo stream, so if
you feed the audio out into a pro-logic amp you will get surround sound.
Don't know about DD though.

Prologic is analogue.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old March 12th 07, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

"Slitheen" wrote in message
I have bought a new Freeview box, a Philips DTR210. On the box, it says it
has a SPDIF Dolby Digital bitstream output....which is a coaxial output. It
carries the Dolby Digital logo on the box too. But do any Freeview channels
actually broadcast in Dolby? I was dubious of it to start with, and now I
have connected it to my Dolby amp via coaxial, my suspicions are confirmed.
It is just indicated as a normal stereo sound stream, as I suspected it
would be. I wasn't expecting some 5.1 magic to spring out of a Freeview box
like, but I wondered if it was going to be Dolby 2.0 or something. And if
it was Dolby stereo, my amp would indicate that to me by having the Dolby
LED light up. Which it doesn't.

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are
there times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Thanks for any input.

The box is probably sold in markets where DD is available.

There's no DD on UK DTT. There could be, but it's a bandwidth issue; why
put surround sound out when you can squeeze another couple of quiz channels
in ??

Old March 12th 07, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

Slitheen wrote:

Pro-Logic can act on any stereo sound source though....

Any stereo source can carry it, but it does need the surround
information encoded into the mix in the first place for there to be
anything for the box to extract. (needless to say most programming will
carry it these days)

I use my Pro Logic II
capable amp to give a very decent matrixed 5.1 soundfield from quite
literally anything that outputs stereo. So really, any old digi box with
left/right analogue outputs can do what this Freeview box is doing.

Indeed, The quality suffers somewhat on the lower bitrate channels however.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 12th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Mar 12, 1:26 pm, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, The quality suffers somewhat on the lower bitrate channels however.

Any mp2 audio coding less than 256k destroys Dolby PL, so I think via
Freeview you'll only get it on BBC 1-4. The other channels are at 192k
or less.

Old March 12th 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
kim

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 12, 1:26 pm, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, The quality suffers somewhat on the lower bitrate channels
however.

Any mp2 audio coding less than 256k destroys Dolby PL, so I think via
Freeview you'll only get it on BBC 1-4.

192k, according to a Dolby Laboratories reply to Widescreen Review magazine.
That coincides with VCD test recordings of my own. This assumes a constant
bitrate is used. Variable bitrate audio is another matter altogether. I
definitely get a surround effect from off-air recordings of ITV1's Primeval.

(kim)