Freeview Box - Dolby Digital out?

Old March 12th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default Freeview Box - Dolby Digital out?

In article . com, Mark
Carver writes
On Mar 12, 1:26 pm, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, The quality suffers somewhat on the lower bitrate channels however.

Any mp2 audio coding less than 256k destroys Dolby PL, so I think via
Freeview you'll only get it on BBC 1-4. The other channels are at 192k
or less.

Good old Bayern Klassik 4 transmits Dolby 5.1 on satellite at 448 K/bits
IIRC...
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 13th 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"kim" wrote in message
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 12, 1:26 pm, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, The quality suffers somewhat on the lower bitrate channels
however.

Any mp2 audio coding less than 256k destroys Dolby PL, so I think via
Freeview you'll only get it on BBC 1-4.

192k, according to a Dolby Laboratories reply to Widescreen Review
magazine. That coincides with VCD test recordings of my own. This assumes
a constant bitrate is used. Variable bitrate audio is another matter
altogether. I definitely get a surround effect from off-air recordings of
ITV1's Primeval.

(kim)

Yeah, Primeval does sound quite sexy, and has a lot of rear speaker 'life'
about it. I noticed this too.

Old March 13th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Dave" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Slitheen" wrote in message
I have bought a new Freeview box, a Philips DTR210. On the box, it says it
has a SPDIF Dolby Digital bitstream output....which is a coaxial output.
It carries the Dolby Digital logo on the box too. But do any Freeview
channels actually broadcast in Dolby? I was dubious of it to start with,
and now I have connected it to my Dolby amp via coaxial, my suspicions are
confirmed. It is just indicated as a normal stereo sound stream, as I
suspected it would be. I wasn't expecting some 5.1 magic to spring out of
a Freeview box like, but I wondered if it was going to be Dolby 2.0 or
something. And if it was Dolby stereo, my amp would indicate that to me by
having the Dolby LED light up. Which it doesn't.

What then is the point of having the Dolby out on a Freeview box? Are
there times when stations broadcast in Dolby?

Thanks for any input.

The box is probably sold in markets where DD is available.

There's no DD on UK DTT. There could be, but it's a bandwidth issue; why
put surround sound out when you can squeeze another couple of quiz
channels in ??

Terrible state of affairs, isn't it? Australian DVB-T transmits DD, or so
I've been told. So there is nothing stopping them doing the same here, but
they are cramming far too many channels into our limited bandwidth,
obviously. We put up with it, so they'll continue to go on with this
quantity over quality strategy.