Freeview Reception in Chatham, Kent

Old July 20th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Marsh

Default Freeview Reception in Chatham, Kent

If your aerial is looking at Bluebell Hill your chances of success are high;
the relay station on the Great Lines does not carry DTTV. I don't know what
the signal strength from Crystal Palace is like around here, and you may
also have noticed some aerials pointing at Dover and Sudbury.

Paul

"Rob" wrote in message
news
does anyone here receive freeview channels in the medway area? I was
wondering what the signal strength is like and the availablility of
channels? Yes I have checked on both post code checkers but thought I

would
ask on here as well.

Thanking you in advance.

Rob

Old July 22nd 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Dann

"Rob" wrote in message
news
does anyone here receive freeview channels in the medway area? I was
wondering what the signal strength is like and the availablility of
channels? Yes I have checked on both post code checkers but thought I

would
ask on here as well.

Thanking you in advance.

Rob

Hello,

I sent this post on to a friend of mine who lives in Chatham. He sent me
this:

I live in Chatham in the Medway Towns. My aerial was originally pointing at
the relay station at Great Lines. They transmit a handful of radio and video
channels on digital, but not the decent stuff (i.e. BBC, ITV or CH5). I
switched my aerial to Bluebell Hill and picked up everything no problem. The
problem with Medway is that it is quiet hilly, so make sure your aerial is
nice and high, i.e. mounted on a pole on your chimney (like mine is). I was
told not to bother with Crystal Palace as it's too far away for a decent
signal. Just under half my street point at Great Lines, and just under half
point at Crystal Palace. The remaining handful point at Bluebell Hill
(probably freeview viewers like me), and they are always mounted high up on
the chimney (rather than on the eaves). I live on the leeward side of a hill
which obscures Bluebell Hill slightly.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob

Thanks Mike I appreciate that when i checked the post code checker it said
not all channels available I shall now enquire about a suitable aerial.

Just out of interest I currently have a sky setup but I cancelled my
subscription and only get the FTA channels. Are the interative services that
are available on Sky such as Sky News and BBCi available on Freeview?

Regards

Rob

Old July 23rd 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

Rob writes

Just out of interest I currently have a sky setup but I cancelled my
subscription and only get the FTA channels. Are the interative services that
are available on Sky such as Sky News and BBCi available on Freeview?

There's no Sky News Active. There is BBCi, although the content may be
slightly different to that on D-SAT - there's no return path available
to Freeview boxes.

--
Dave