Freeview / HD DVD connection problems

Old January 29th 07, 09:11 PM
Westy1975 Westy1975 is offline
Junior Member

Default Freeview / HD DVD connection problems

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just bought a Pioneer DVR-440HX-S HDD DVD recorders (one with built in freeview). I have a TV (2 scart plugs), Sky Digibox (2 scarts) and the DVD player (also 2 scart plugs). I have connected the above as per the manual, but when I try to complete the setup the system is not registering any TV channels.

We don't use our analogue arial as the reception is terrible where we live so we watch the freeview channels through the digibox. we want to be able to record off freeview, while watching another freeview channel, hence the choise of a recorder with built in freeview. Does anybody know what might be wrong with my setup. Thanks.
Old January 30th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

--
Westy1975

Er, Freeview will still need an aerial.

Doc

Old January 30th 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

Westy1975 wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just bought a Pioneer DVR-440HX-S HDD DVD recorders (one with built in
freeview). I have a TV (2 scart plugs), Sky Digibox (2 scarts) and the
DVD player (also 2 scart plugs). I have connected the above as per the
manual, but when I try to complete the setup the system is not
registering any TV channels.

We don't use our analogue arial as the reception is terrible where we
live so we watch the freeview channels through the digibox. we want to
be able to record off freeview, while watching another freeview
channel, hence the choise of a recorder with built in freeview. Does
anybody know what might be wrong with my setup. Thanks.

You answered your own question in the post "We don't use our analogue arial
as the reception is terrible". How the hell do you expect to get Freeview
without an aerial?

Old January 30th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Adrian A" wrote in message
news
Westy1975 wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just bought a Pioneer DVR-440HX-S HDD DVD recorders (one with built
in freeview). I have a TV (2 scart plugs), Sky Digibox (2 scarts)
and the DVD player (also 2 scart plugs). I have connected the above
as per the manual, but when I try to complete the setup the system
is not registering any TV channels.

We don't use our analogue arial as the reception is terrible where we
live so we watch the freeview channels through the digibox. we want
to be able to record off freeview, while watching another freeview
channel, hence the choise of a recorder with built in freeview. Does
anybody know what might be wrong with my setup. Thanks.

You answered your own question in the post "We don't use our analogue
arial as the reception is terrible". How the hell do you expect to
get Freeview without an aerial?

I'm afraid that the OP has made the common mistake of equating "Freeview"
with the free digital channels, when in fact it means free DTT (digital
terrestrial television), and doesn't include the channels available through
satellite (or cable for that matter).

IOW, the Freeview tuner in the new box is useless without a decent TV
reception via an ordinary aerial.

He can still use it to record from his Digibox onto DVD (and possibly HDD) I
imagine, assuming the unit has an A-D converter, but this will have to be
done via the SCART lead. He might not be able to record one programme while
watching another, unless the Digibox allows two channels at once.

A Sky+ box would have been a better bet if he wanted to stick with Sky.

--
Max Demian