Arial not picking up any freeview channels

Old January 29th 07, 09:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Default Arial not picking up any freeview channels

Hi,

I have just moved into my new house and have noticed that the house
has been connected to NTL cable. There is a normal arial in the loft
which I have chased down to the living room. Where the arial cable
should come out in the living room there is a small NTL box on the
wall which is connected to an old-style NTL cable box which has a COAX
connector coming out of it.

When I attach that COAX attachment into the back of my TV it does give
me a signal. However when I attach it to my freeview box and search
for channels it can't find any.

Could someone please explain what I have to do to so that I can get my
freeview box picking up the channels? I was contemplating taking the
NTL box off the wall and putting a COAX attachment on the cable that
is coming out of the wall but dont want to mess everything up any
further.

Any help would be great - I hope I have explained it properly.

Old January 29th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com
[...]

The connection to the NTL box will be just analogue TV via cable.

For Freeview you *will* have to connect to an actual TV aerial - the one in
the loft *might* be good enough, and is worth trying.

--
Max Demian

Old January 29th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Its because Arial is a font, not an aerial. ;-)

Seriously though, it looks like you are still connected to the NTL cable,
not the aerial. These often provide analogue signals as well as the cable
signal, however they don't supply freeview digital signals.

You need to trace your aerial cable again.

Old January 29th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
edwardo

I think you need a new arial and I would get a high gain broadbanded one and
you will see the difference, on some freeview boxes there is a facility that
allows you to test the strength of your signal..

Old January 29th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

If you have moved then the frequency for your freeview may be different.
Plug it in directly to your aerial and rescan.

Old January 29th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

Edwardo wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have just moved into my new house and have noticed that the house
has been connected to NTL cable. There is a normal arial in the loft
which I have chased down to the living room. Where the arial cable
should come out in the living room there is a small NTL box on the
wall which is connected to an old-style NTL cable box which has a COAX
connector coming out of it.

When I attach that COAX attachment into the back of my TV it does give
me a signal. However when I attach it to my freeview box and search
for channels it can't find any.

I think you need a new arial and I would get a high gain broadbanded one and
you will see the difference, on some freeview boxes there is a facility that
allows you to test the strength of your signal.

What makes you think he would he need to get a wideband or high gain
aerial? He hasn't said where he is or what transmitter. Without those
peces of information you can't say what aerial is required.
Old January 29th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

thanks for your imput everyone. Think I'm gonna take the NTL box off
the wall and put a COAX attachment on the end of the cable and see
what happens (anyone know if this is correct?). My neighbour has got
freeview and he can access all of the channels so I am hoping that the
aerial in my loft will be good enough.

Chris

Old January 29th 07, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for your imput everyone. Think I'm gonna take the NTL box off
the wall and put a COAX attachment on the end of the cable and see
what happens (anyone know if this is correct?). My neighbour has got
freeview and he can access all of the channels so I am hoping that the
aerial in my loft will be good enough.

Chris

the ntl box is giving you the ntl signal - not the tv aerial!
what you need to do is connect your freeview box to your actual tv aerial -
you need to find where the lead from that has gone to.
you're never going to get a freeview signal from ntl's wires !

--
Gareth.
A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.

Old January 29th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for your imput everyone. Think I'm gonna take the NTL box off
the wall and put a COAX attachment on the end of the cable and see
what happens (anyone know if this is correct?). My neighbour has got
freeview and he can access all of the channels so I am hoping that the
aerial in my loft will be good enough.

Chris

It sounds promising if your neighbour can get it. Put your postcode in here
and see what it says http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Or you can post your (almost exact) location here and see if we can help.

It sounds like an NTL bodge has been executed - also post some photos
somewhere for us to look at, if it helps.