Do LCD screens wear out?

Old January 28th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Do LCD screens wear out?

"Mark Carver" wrote in message

Steve Terry wrote:

I found jangling my bunch of keys in front of my old early Philips
G11 changed channel, later G11s had IR remote control

A friend of mine used to jangle his keys as he left the house while
his mum was watching TV, she'd often not notice the channel had
changed before he was half way up the road.

Later once IR was firmly established, we'd take a collection of
remotes into town, and stand outside various rental shops. Turning up
the volume on several sets at a time, or changing the Oracle Teletext
advert page to a competitor's were my favourites.

What jolly japes you got up to. How old were you, 29?

--
Max Demian

Old January 28th 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

Steve Terry wrote:

I found jangling my bunch of keys in front of my old early Philips G11
changed channel, later G11s had IR remote control

A friend of mine used to jangle his keys as he left the house while his
mum was watching TV, she'd often not notice the channel had changed before
he was half way up the road.

Later once IR was firmly established, we'd take a collection of remotes
into town, and stand outside various rental shops. Turning up the volume
on several sets at a time, or changing the Oracle Teletext advert page to
a competitor's were my favourites.

In the early 1990's in the evening a friend used to drive by a local TV
shop
which had Sat TV in the window, with a universal remote he used to
switch it to Red Hot Dutch Porn and turn the volume up ;-)

Steve Terry

Old January 29th 07, 06:35 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

ISTR that my dog was particlarly unimpressed by the one we had - gave
the remote some really strange looks whenever we changed the channel

I found jangling my bunch of keys in front of my old early Philips G11
changed channel, later G11s had IR remote control

Sneezing always caused our Philips G11 to switch channels, 30 years later
and my parents still refer to the remote as "the clicker"

//Clive.

Old January 29th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Androo

Yes, they use a cold cathode fluorescent tube (or two).
One day they may all use electroluminescent panels, like some watches and
cellphones.
Max Demian

Rumour has it that Apple is preparing laptops with LED backlights, so maybe
that's the way things are going.

Androo

Old January 29th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
JW

Nel wrote:
"Wilf" wrote in message

Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced. Many
CRT TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with never a
problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of remote
control :-)

What a ridiculous concept!!!

How ON EARTH did you possibly change channels on the infernal machine
then?!!

Why would you want to change channels? You either watched
BBC or ITV, including the ads.

Later, I used the VCR remote.
Old January 29th 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson

In message , JW
writes
Nel wrote:
"Wilf" wrote in message

Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced.
Many CRT TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with
never a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack
of remote control :-)

What a ridiculous concept!!!
How ON EARTH did you possibly change channels on the infernal
machine then?!!

Why would you want to change channels? You either watched BBC or ITV,
including the ads.

Later, I used the VCR remote.

Presumably by taking careful aim at the channel change buttons, and
throwing it at the TV?

Old January 29th 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Androo" wrote in message
. uk
Yes, they use a cold cathode fluorescent tube (or two).
One day they may all use electroluminescent panels, like some
watches and cellphones.
Max Demian

Rumour has it that Apple is preparing laptops with LED backlights, so
maybe that's the way things are going.

I don't know why it's taken so long for electroluminescent panels to take
off. I remember seeing one at the Science Museum about 1970, about 6" across
with a Philips logo.

--
Max Demian

Old January 30th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

Max Demian wrote:

I don't know why it's taken so long for electroluminescent panels to take
off. I remember seeing one at the Science Museum about 1970,

But EL panels also wear out ...

Old January 30th 07, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote: [sorry about the bad form]

But EL panels also wear out ...

In a way that they just get dimmer rather than stop working, they have a
"half-brightness" life of a couple of thousand hours.

Old January 30th 07, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote: [sorry about the bad form]

But EL panels also wear out ...

In a way that they just get dimmer rather than stop working, they have a
"half-brightness" life of a couple of thousand hours.

just under 12 weeks continuous! Not very long.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11