Do LCD screens wear out?

Old January 27th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Do LCD screens wear out?

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Alan Pemberton wrote:
Thirty years ago the kids *were* the remote control.

My grandfather used his walking stick.

Yes, but nowadays you can get into trouble for wacking kids with a walking
stick.

Old January 27th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Wilf

Nel wrote:
"Wilf" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:
CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced. Many
CRT TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with never a
problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack of remote
control :-)

What a ridiculous concept!!!

How ON EARTH did you possibly change channels on the infernal machine
then?!!

It were truly a dark time in their lives, but their index fingers were
the stronger for it ;-)

--
Wilf
Old January 27th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

"Wilf" wrote in message

What a ridiculous concept!!!

How ON EARTH did you possibly change channels on the infernal machine
then?!!

It were truly a dark time in their lives, but their index fingers were the
stronger for it ;-)

recently at a boot sale, i saw a relic from the 70s - a tv volume remote
control device!
it was a small plastic box which you fitted over the volume knob and somehow
clamped it.
then the supplied remote would mechanically turn up your volume!

--
Gareth.
A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.

Old January 27th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivor Jones

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net
"Alan Pemberton"
wrote in message
ve.co.uk.invalid...
Wilf wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the
technology is advanced. Many CRT
TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976
to 2004 with never
a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated
the lack of remote
control :-)

Thirty years ago the kids *were* the remote control.

Thirty years ago kids used to do as they were told!

No I didn't..! (Still don't..!)

Ivor

Old January 27th 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

wrote:

recently at a boot sale, i saw a relic from the 70s - a tv volume remote
control device!
it was a small plastic box which you fitted over the volume knob and somehow
clamped it.
then the supplied remote would mechanically turn up your volume!

TV remotes at that time caused flying-insects to dive and hide. :-)

--
Dave Farrance
Old January 27th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter

wrote:

recently at a boot sale, i saw a relic from the 70s - a tv volume remote
control device!
it was a small plastic box which you fitted over the volume knob and somehow
clamped it.
then the supplied remote would mechanically turn up your volume!

TV remotes at that time caused flying-insects to dive and hide. :-)

ISTR that my dog was particlarly unimpressed by the one we had - gave
the remote some really strange looks whenever we changed the channel
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old January 27th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

wrote:
recently at a boot sale, i saw a relic from the 70s - a tv volume remote
control device!
it was a small plastic box which you fitted over the volume knob and
somehow
clamped it.
then the supplied remote would mechanically turn up your volume!

TV remotes at that time caused flying-insects to dive and hide. :-)

ISTR that my dog was particlarly unimpressed by the one we had - gave
the remote some really strange looks whenever we changed the channel

I found jangling my bunch of keys in front of my old early Philips G11
changed channel, later G11s had IR remote control

Steve Terry

Old January 27th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

Wilf wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

CRTs have been around a long time, so the technology is advanced.
Many CRT TVs last 20 years.

My Mitsubishi colour CRT TV lasted 28 years from 1976 to 2004 with
never a problem. How's that for a record? The kids hated the lack
of remote control :-)
Square push-buttons along the top?. If so I know of someone still using

one,
and it allegedly has never had any problems.

My own main living room TV is a 16 year old 29 inch (Nicam fastext)
Mitsubishi which uses a nice modern-looking flat faced square CRT, still
giving excellent pictures and hasn't had any problems for at least eight
years since I fixed the 'stock' faults. However because of a couple a
previous
failures (due to heat drying-out electrolytics) I also beefed up the power
supply, which included the addition of a hefty aluminium finned heat sink
... Call me an old cynic, but I'd say that some manufacturers 'deliberately'
design things to fail after a few years of use ;o)

Old January 28th 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Steve Terry wrote:

I found jangling my bunch of keys in front of my old early Philips G11
changed channel, later G11s had IR remote control

A friend of mine used to jangle his keys as he left the house while his mum
was watching TV, she'd often not notice the channel had changed before he was
half way up the road.

Later once IR was firmly established, we'd take a collection of remotes into
town, and stand outside various rental shops. Turning up the volume on several
sets at a time, or changing the Oracle Teletext advert page to a competitor's
were my favourites.

--
Mark