Backing up Hard Drive in DVD player

Old January 28th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin S Taylor

Default Backing up Hard Drive in DVD player

Java Jive wrote
Yes, the general idea is that you use a DVD authoring program to write the
programmes to a DVD-R. Have no idea what authoring programs are available
for a Mac.

I do! (The professional one is DVD Studio Pro, but there's iDVD as well, and
doubtless others.)

The authoring program may be able to read the DVD-RAM files directly, or an
intermediate conversion step may be required.

No, you need to read the DVD-RAM using a program called Toast.

But do I need to go via a DVD-RAM? Can't I just write to DVD-RW using the
Panasonic DVD player, then back up the files from the DVD-RW onto the
computer? And reverse the process when I want to put them back after I've
formatted the drive?

MST

Old January 28th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Read the manual carefully:

1) My Panasonic is an early model that can't record to DVD-RW;
2) When it records to DVD-R the aspect ratio is always recorded as 4:3
regardless of the original recording's ratio.

I used to use the Panny/DVD-RAM route - to preserve the aspect ratio and
achieve cleaner results removing adverts, and to create menus, etc - but
now I usually just copy the files over the network from my FTA satellite
receiver and create the DVDs from those, and the Panny is now mainly just
used for CCTV.

lworld.com...

Old January 28th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin S Taylor

Java Jive wrote
Read the manual carefully:

1) My Panasonic is an early model that can't record to DVD-RW;
2) When it records to DVD-R the aspect ratio is always recorded as 4:3
regardless of the original recording's ratio.

Okay. I'll try the DVD-RW route first, since all of my recordings are 4:3.
Thanks for all your help.

MST

Old January 29th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

A couple of related points, in case you haven't already discovered them ...

1) On my Panasonic, and therefore probably yours, you can't 'restore'
programmes by dubbing from DVD(-RW) to HD, so DVD(-RW)s can't be viewed as a
temporary storage medium while you fix the HD problem, with a view to
putting the programmes back later.

You can dub in that direction from DVD-RAM, but as most PC drives can only
read DVD-RAM, while those that can write to them are reported to have
problems producing a format that the Panasonics can read, the only way to
use them like this would be to have enough DVD-RAMs to hold all of the
programmes on the Panasonic's HD while you do the swap, which most would
consider prohibitively expensive.

So in effect this has to be viewed as a permanent move of the programmes
from HD onto whatever other media you choose - you're unlikely to be able
to put them back. This being so, one might as well make the best possible
job of it, which is why I author DVDs.

2) DVD-R(W)s created by a Panasonic don't have quite the standard DVD
format (for one thing there is no AUDIO_TS folder) and there have been
reports that they can't be read by all players, though the one test case I
made can be read in my PC and played by PowerDVD.

3) If, after reading the above, you decide to go down the
DVD-RAM/authoring route, there is a setting on the Panasonic which it is
important to have right before you make recordings (though you can correct
those for which it was wrong by correcting the setting and then dubbing from
HD to DVD-RAM in real time, ie: choosing one of the FR,XP,SP, LP,EP formats
that re-encode the file rather than fast mode which is just a file copy).

Ensure that Setup, Picture, Hybrid VBR Resolution is set to Fixed (menu path
correct for DMR-E100H, yours may be different), otherwise authoring
programmes may claim a video has multiple resolutions and either refuse to
read it or break it up into different tracks.