Analogue tuners and their future

Old January 26th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Hayes

Default Analogue tuners and their future

Steve Terry wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
Just a thought. Surely there will be a place for analogue tuners in
tellys long after switch over due to people having RF pumped around
their houses from Sky boxes & videos etc. Do you think they will
still make TV's with analogue tuners in after switch over for this
purpose?
Marky P.

Nope, there is a place for scart sockets instead

If you are pumping RF modulators around instead of RGB video
by scart, then you re doing it wrong

What's the limit on Scart? 50 feet?

--

Immunity is better than innoculation.

Peter
Old January 26th 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:57:31 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
Just a thought. Surely there will be a place for analogue tuners in
tellys long after switch over due to people having RF pumped around
their houses from Sky boxes & videos etc. Do you think they will
still make TV's with analogue tuners in after switch over for this
purpose?

Marky P.

no - i bet very few people actually do that - only enthusiasts.
besides - surely RF wont give a particularly nice picture?

It's been known that people send Sky pictures from the lounge to the
bedroom via thr box's RF output. At least they used to. Maybe this
is dying out now.

Marky P.

Old January 26th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doug Paulley

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:55:40 GMT, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

Hospitals now use broadband data to individual bed TV / monitors
which carries PAYG TV / Radio / Web, and Telephone.

I always wondered how those worked. They are heavily pixellated and
compressed pictures.

--
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
to email me remove .lartsspammers
Old January 26th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Marky P" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:57:31 -0000, "the dog from that film you saw"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
. ..
Just a thought. Surely there will be a place for analogue tuners in
tellys long after switch over due to people having RF pumped around
their houses from Sky boxes & videos etc. Do you think they will
still make TV's with analogue tuners in after switch over for this
purpose?

Marky P.

no - i bet very few people actually do that - only enthusiasts.
besides - surely RF wont give a particularly nice picture?

It's been known that people send Sky pictures from the lounge to the
bedroom via thr box's RF output. At least they used to. Maybe this
is dying out now.

Marky P.

I send Sky, the VCR output, 5 analogue channels and FM to most of the rooms
in my house via an 8 way distribution amp.
Three locations also have their own digital terrestrial tuner and two have
Powermid remote extenders.

The system works very well, and the quality is indeed broadcast quality on
the "in-house" channels. The lack of stereo on Sky via the RF output is not
a problem to those viewing, and only two of the TV's are stereo!

Old January 26th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Steve Terry wrote:
"Marky P" wrote in message
Just a thought. Surely there will be a place for analogue tuners in
tellys long after switch over due to people having RF pumped around
their houses from Sky boxes & videos etc. Do you think they will
still make TV's with analogue tuners in after switch over for this
purpose?
Marky P.

Nope, there is a place for scart sockets instead

If you are pumping RF modulators around instead of RGB video
by scart, then you re doing it wrong

No you aren't.
An aerial splitter and a pile of coax is a very simple way of achieving the
desired result , and for many people it's more than sufficient.
RGB & audio via SCART will give better end results but it's a lot more
complex and costly.

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old January 27th 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DavidM

* Doctor D wrote, On 26/01/2007 22:04:
[...]

We do exactly the same thing, the RF outputs are fed to the distribution
amp and sent round the house. I can't understand why people are so
amazed at this, we've always done it. Since replacing the VCR with a
Freeview recorder we are unable to watch TV recordings in the other
rooms because it has no RF output.
I can only imagine that some people line Murdock's pockets by paying
multiple subscriptions for a Sky box in each room.
DavidM
Old January 27th 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"DavidM" wrote in message
Since replacing the VCR with a Freeview recorder we are unable to watch TV
recordings in the other rooms because it has no RF output.

I suppose you know you could use a modulator.

Old January 27th 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

"Marky P" wrote in message
Just a thought. Surely there will be a place for analogue tuners in
tellys long after switch over due to people having RF pumped around
their houses from Sky boxes & videos etc. Do you think they will
still make TV's with analogue tuners in after switch over for this
purpose?
Marky P.

Nope, there is a place for scart sockets instead

If you are pumping RF modulators around instead of RGB video
by scart, then you re doing it wrong

And just how far do you think you will get before an unmodulated signal
disperses?

It isn't easy to see how 30 channels could be distributed at baseband on
one coax cable.

Bill

I was only referring to one channel (analog output from digital box).

OTOH replication looks cheap enough

DVD player 9 ASDA
Freeview 20 various 22 Aldi
Satellite 60 (inc dish, LNB etc.) Lidl tbc.

Old January 27th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DavidM

* Bill Wright wrote, On 27/01/2007 14:29:
"DavidM" wrote in message
Since replacing the VCR with a Freeview recorder we are unable to watch TV
recordings in the other rooms because it has no RF output.

I suppose you know you could use a modulator.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Maplin have one, and there's a
cheap one on eBay. It's annoying that I'll need another metre of SCART
cable and a power supply to do something so simple.
Cheers
DavidM

Old January 27th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

"DavidM" wrote in message
Since replacing the VCR with a Freeview recorder we are unable to watch TV
recordings in the other rooms because it has no RF output.

I suppose you know you could use a modulator.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Maplin have one, and there's a
cheap one on eBay. It's annoying that I'll need another metre of SCART
cable and a power supply to do something so simple.
Cheers
DavidM

But what about when they stop making analogue tuners? Will they make
RF to Scart converters so you can reverse the process?

Marky P.