RSS Toppy

Old January 26th 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Whitfield

Default RSS Toppy

On 26 Jan, 11:37, "Gendy" wrote:
I warned you!..the Hummies and the Toppies go to war here just as they do on
DigitalSpy and it gets very irritating in every aspect other than it does
successfully deter the average punter looking for a PVR to replace his VCR
from buying the Topfield and the Humax since they are overspecified (both)
and unduely expensive (Topfield).

The reason people respond to your posts here and elsewhere is not
"going to war." It's because you make up incorrect statements and post
them, as part of your desire to promote the TVonics.

Perhaps you should let that box stand on its own merits.

So far, you've told people the Toppy's noisy, that TAPs are pointless,
that you can break the machine completely by doing something wrong when
you connect it to your computer, that it takes days for the EPG to
populate, that it's not sold in ordinary retailers, that the playback
quality won't be good for some bizarre reason to do with the ability to
record two things at the same time, and that the same reason means the
disks will fail.

All of these things are WRONG.

If you didn't make up rubbish and post it, then people wouldn't feel a
need to correct you.

Obviously you feel that having your errors pointed out is somehow
objectionable, but the only person who can resolve that is you.

Nigel.

Old January 26th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Whitfield

On 26 Jan, 07:58, "housetrained" wrote:
I should have said: WSS not RSS. Sooooorry.
Since I posted I have realised that I use a lead which is scart at the
Topfield end and Component at the TV end. Probably it (the WSS) won't work

WSS is fully supported via the component output; it's the additional
signalling carried on Line 23 of the vide signal. I use mine via a
SCART-Component lead, and there's no problem at all; the display
reacts just as it should.

I'm pretty sure it works via the S-Video too; I've not tried that,
admittedly, but I imagine all the outputs get the same signal,
including line 23.

Nigel.

Old January 27th 07, 01:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

Get a life....if the Topfield has no fan then it must run very hot or it
needs a brick on it as one of the posts here says...try reading the Humax
and Topfield threads in the PVR section of DigitalSpy and look at the
complaints there....I have read them thoroughly and the portayal of these
two machines as the acme of perfection is pure twaddle.You'll even find the
imperfections of the Blessed Hummy on hummy.org.uk.I do now realise why
Humax are continually repeating their OTA downloads - the machines don't
pick them up and so the only means of updating the machine is via an
internet download to a PC and then a null modem cable transfer to the
machine.

Look at the illustrations in the 85 page manual for the Humax 9200T..the
software is plainly an adaptation from a satellite PVR - that is why they
have been so successful in the market..Philips,Panasonic and Sony do not
produce satellite receivers and so they had no receivers to adapt to put
into the market.It looks as if they are not going to bother either.The only
true DTT PVRs are the Vestel,Fusion and TVonics receivers and the last has
been specifically designed for it with software based on the Sony VTX D800U.

So like the idiot who got up at 06.15 in the morning to write his "rebuttal"
of what I said ..it is a pure waste of time....and looking at the people
there who have posted literally thousands of times....you have all got bees
in your bonnets and frankly are pathetic.

Does it not occur to you that Tesco sell to a simple user market and they do
not carry Humax or Topfield machines..I wonder why?...does it not strike you
as possible it is because the average punter coming in to their stores would
not want to bother with such a complex receiver ..do you think they know a
null modem cable from a jump lead.

BUT...BUT ..Tesco are carrying the TVonics machines because their
electronics buyers can see a simple PVR that does what it says on the
tin.....no TAPs ,no Picture in Picture no recording two channels and no
buffering that faisl either......a PVR they can sell to the general public
without there being machines brought back because the buyers cannot make
them work.I assume they carry the much maligned Sagem and Vestel machines
too for the same reason.

And the best machine in the DTG ricability tests ....a cheap single tuner
80Gb Digifusion ....not the Hummy or the bloody Toppy.

It has removed 2950 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old January 27th 07, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:37:41 -0000, "Gendy"
wrote:

.Philips,Panasonic and Sony do not
produce satellite receivers

Sony used to. We have one.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow, overlooking Lochs Long and Goil in Argyll, Scotland.

Webcam and weather:- http://windycroft.gt-britain.co.uk/weather
Old January 27th 07, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

wrote:

.Philips,Panasonic and Sony do not
produce satellite receivers

Sony used to. We have one.

I've got two, better looking than the competition.

Old January 27th 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Whitfield

On 27 Jan, 02:37, "Gendy" wrote:
Get a life....if the Topfield has no fan then it must run very hot or it
needs a brick on it as one of the posts here says...

Tell you what, you stop making things up and posting them as fact, and
other people won't feel the need to correct you.

The Topfield doesn't run very hot. I'm not sure why a brick would help
the cooling, but I daresay you'll enlighten people.

Being sold in Tesco isn't actually what everyone aspires to, you know.

You want to start a thread about the TVonics, telling people it's great
- go ahead. I'm sure people will be interested to hear about it. But
jumping into another thread just to post lies about a product you've
clearly never used seems an add way to spend your time.

Nigel.

Old January 27th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

Yes..can I guess?...it is either a Sky receiver or the model they produced
God knows how many years ago with a matching Philips branded Gregorian dish.

--
Legal Notice:
views.
wrote:

.Philips,Panasonic and Sony do not
produce satellite receivers

Sony used to. We have one.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow, overlooking Lochs Long and Goil in
Argyll, Scotland.

Webcam and weather:- http://windycroft.gt-britain.co.uk/weather

It has removed 2967 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old January 27th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:09:07 -0000, "Gendy"
wrote:

Yes..can I guess?...it is either a Sky receiver...

There's a clever boy :-)

To conform with Usenet convention, how about trimming your sig to four
lines or less?

Old January 28th 07, 12:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

http://www.nigelwhitfield.com/v2/

It has removed 2990 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old January 28th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

http://www.nigelwhitfield.com/v2/links.php

"Besides work, I've been involved in a number of other projects over the
years, the most recent of which is a site for UK users of the Topfield
TF5800 PVR, which I launched in the spring of 2005. Much of the site
content, and all the scripting, was written by me. So, if you're interested
in PVRs, or my scripting abilities, have a look at Toppy.org.uk "

No wonder he seems so keen to convince us so forcefully that the Topfield
TF5800T is superior to all the other PVRs (except the Humax of course -
that's distributed by Turbosat too)

Biased or unbiased ..you decide.

I do notice that hummy.org.uk is declared to be sponsored by Humax UK.So you
know where you are there.

The astonishing thing is that DigitalSpy seem quite happy for this guy to
patrol their Forums to step in when anyone attempts to argue for other
machines against the Topfield but then like one or two others with thousands
of posts purporting to give independant help and advice - they do keep the
whole thing alive.

You can gauge his response for yourself to the poster who said that his
Topfield might have no fan but it needed a brick on top of it because it
vibrated so much.

"True, in my case provided you have a house brick on top of the thing to
prevent the case vibrating.

(and never in normal use with the tv working).

Not true, (in my case).

But that's not a toppy's worst sin. No, for that you need to look at the
pathetic video out systems. The VCR output can do no better than composite
video not even s-video. The s-video output (on a 4 pin mini din no less)
uniquely in my experience only works at the expense of RGB on the tv scart.

I have never come across another product where the mini din s-video output
wasn't always there."

For myself I think the TVonics is a pretty good PVR that is built for the
job to view and record Freeview and not an adaptation of a satellite PVR.

And contrary to counterclaims elswhere I do not work for TVonics or any
other consumer electronics business - indeed I am happily retired and have
been for the past 6 years..

But....

On 25 Jan, 23:28, "Gendy" wrote:
Thank you all..but I am the happy owner of a TVonics DVR250 that allows
me
to record and view as I wish and above all watch TV...not download dodgy
updates that give me a choice of 36 different colour schemes for the EPG
that days four days to populate.Also no helicopter noises from under the
telly with this Welsh designed and made DTT PVR.

Ah; so this is what people do when they get banned from Digital Spy,
then?

I shall await your further ramblings, telling people incorrect
information about other PVRs, like you've been trying to do so hard on
DS.

You're wrong in so many ways, every time you open your mouth to
criticise the Topfield TF5800 that I can only wonder why you're
bothering to make up all the rubbish you post, since it can't be based
on even a brief experience with the machine.

Nigel.

So don't cross swords with Nigel on DigitalSpy - they are on his side and
you do get banned as he says.

All of which says treat DigitalSpy with great reserve....a "Forum Member"
with thousands of posts to his credit is a likely to be professional of some
sort - giving the profile the once over is a very good idea.I would not be
surprised if the distributors have employees who monitor the DigitalSpy
Forums to plug their products and rubbish the opposition.

BTW Nigel also has some interesting ideas on policing.