Ok, here's a pic of my new aerial installation....

Old January 19th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

Default Ok, here's a pic of my new aerial installation....

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:41:18 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Marky P wrote:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Your fixings look very close to the edges of the bricks?

Had no choice. Tried different positions but was always close to the
edge of the bricks!

Marky P.

Old January 19th 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:28:01 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Marky P
writes
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Marky P.

Hope that doesn't catch to much wind there..bit precarious..

Ever do anything about lever's and their effects at school Marky?..

It survived the gales. Open fields all round & it stayed pretty firm
with very little swaying. Now, if it went up on the gable end, I
would've obtained a larger bracket.

Marky P.

Old January 19th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:28:01 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Marky P
writes
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Marky P.

Hope that doesn't catch to much wind there..bit precarious..

Ever do anything about lever's and their effects at school Marky?..

Ok, what if I get another bracket the same & put it higher up the
mast?

Marky P.

Old January 19th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:

Ever do anything about lever's and their effects at school Marky?..

Ever do anything about apostrophes, or placing fullstops after question
marks?

PMSL! :O

Old January 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"Marky P" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:16:07 -0000, "Doctor D"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
. ..
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Marky P.

It's certainly better, but I'd have used a T&K with that loading on it.

I think T&K is overkill, but I agree that a bigger bracket should've
been used.

Marky P.

Looks fine to me, mate. And as it has survived one gale, I'm sure you'll get
many years goodness from it. The main point is that you're getting perfect
picture/reception from it. I'm sure the perfectionists amongst us would
quibble......but it does its job. Mind you, so did the botch-up job prior to
it.

Old January 19th 07, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message

"Marky P" wrote in message
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Marky P.

Dear Lord please tell me that's not a 6x6 bracket........and a painted one
too!
The shearing force on the mast at the top u-bolt will be pretty
substantial. After a few good twists in the wind it will probably be
enough to make it snap.
You've got the cranked mast the wrong way round, multiplying these forces
by a factor I no longer remember how to calculate.
The mast is woefully inadequate and so is the bracket.
The close promimity of the wall will negate the use of the high gain.
Nobody likes a folded dipole either & it looks like you've got the cable
going into it the wrong way round so water will run down into the box.
Heavens above is that RG6 I can see........

But it survived the worst weather we've had in years and is giving him
perfect quality picture, that's surely got to count for something? What
exactly is wrong with RG-6 coax, by the way, as the picture on my TV
(contract group C/D and RG-6 cable), analogue and Freeview, is
indistinguishable from that of a friend's close by who has a top-end
wideband aerial and what I think is expensive CT100 cable. And by my
friend's own admission, it *is* indistinguishable from my picture.

As far as I knew, the length of the run of cable and location specific
signal quality play some part in deciding between decent, branded RG-6 and
quad screened fancy pants cable??? :/

But for an amateur I am pretty impressed. Much better than your last
effort!!

For an amateur, like myself, I'm more than impressed.

Old January 19th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Marky P" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:28:01 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Marky P
writes
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...aerial0002.jpg

It was an emergency install & I had no access to a higher ladder at
the time, but aerial has line of sight of Sandy Heath & all digital &
analogue reception is perfect. Still, it's better than my last
installation using the loft lance & No More Nails. BTW, that loft
lance came off the wall very easily, so how the aerial was staying up,
I don't know.

Marky P.

Hope that doesn't catch to much wind there..bit precarious..

Ever do anything about lever's and their effects at school Marky?..

Ok, what if I get another bracket the same & put it higher up the
mast?

I would do that Marky.

Old January 19th 07, 07:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Andy
Burns writes
tony sayer wrote:

Ever do anything about lever's and their effects at school Marky?..

Ever do anything about apostrophes, or placing fullstops after question
marks?

Jus testin.

Thought that might get Jon P out of his cave!......
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 19th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:21:54 GMT, "Slitheen"
wrote:

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
. ..

"Marky P" wrote in message
[...]

I've done comparisons with CT100 & bog standard low loss coax & there
is definately a noticeable difference if you have reception problems.
If you are in a good reception area with very little passing traffic,
then any coax will work fine. I installed an old wideband contract
aerial with standard brown coax at my mate's girlfriend's house. It
is split to two TV's with no amplification & she lives on a main road
with constant traffic. Reception is perfect.

Marky P.

Old January 19th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

tony sayer wrote:

Thought that might get Jon P out of his cave!......

I thought I'd save him the job.