will Philips DVD recorder control telewest cable box?

Old July 19th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
keith

Default will Philips DVD recorder control telewest cable box?

I have telewest digital TV, supplied on a PACE di4000 digital cable box.
But there's no way to switch channels for timed recordings.

However , the Philips do DVD recorders, where the manual talks of using
something called guide+ or guide plus , and an IR blaster to control a
cable box.

Has anyone done this and can confirm it's possible?

(I'm a bit sceptical about how the philips manual says to switch to channel
3 or 9, but the cable box chanels are 3 digit numbers... and surely the
cabel woudl haveto include asignal saying which channel was which?)

I'm using Telewest dig. cable, (formerly eurobell) in south west england.

Thanks

Old July 20th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
Whoops! SCOTTIES

if you haven't yet bought this recorder, i warn you not to they're extremely
proe to faults. i've had 4, including 2 of the 1299.99 ones, and they've
all gone faulty - reading "disc error" during recording and that means gaps
in the recording. applies to models 980 and 880. all crap i'm afraid!

Old July 21st 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
James Covey-Crump

"Whoops! SCOTTIES"
wrote:
if you haven't yet bought this recorder, i warn you not to they're
extremely proe to faults. i've had 4, including 2 of the 1299.99
ones, and they've all gone faulty - reading "disc error" during
recording and that means gaps in the recording. applies to models 980
and 880. all crap i'm afraid!

Never had any problems with mine (a PHILIPS DVDR 880). I heard there where
some reliability problems with DVD+R (write once) disks in the earily
days.

Keith, sorry I've never tried using it with a cable box (I tend to use it
in "satellite mode" which starts it recording when pin 8 is asserted).

JamesCC
Old July 21st 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
Patrick Navin

The other day in some
fecker calling himself James Covey-Crump embarassed himself and wrote:
"Whoops! SCOTTIES"
wrote:
if you haven't yet bought this recorder, i warn you not to they're
extremely proe to faults. i've had 4, including 2 of the 1299.99
ones, and they've all gone faulty - reading "disc error" during
recording and that means gaps in the recording. applies to models 980
and 880. all crap i'm afraid!

Never had any problems with mine (a PHILIPS DVDR 880). I heard there
where some reliability problems with DVD+R (write once) disks in the
earily days.

same here, a DVDR980 with latest firmware. Never had a failed recording
of any type

Keith, sorry I've never tried using it with a cable box (I tend to use
it in "satellite mode" which starts it recording when pin 8 is
asserted).

aye very handy
Patrick

--
Remove YOUR PANTS to reply

http://www.notepad-computer.co.uk
notepad computers site (under construction)

"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries
of educationalizing our youths."

- George W. Bush
Old July 21st 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Harrison

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:21:33 +0000 (UTC), "keith" wrote:

I have telewest digital TV, supplied on a PACE di4000 digital cable box.
But there's no way to switch channels for timed recordings.

However , the Philips do DVD recorders, where the manual talks of using
something called guide+ or guide plus , and an IR blaster to control a
cable box.

Has anyone done this and can confirm it's possible?

(I'm a bit sceptical about how the philips manual says to switch to channel
3 or 9, but the cable box chanels are 3 digit numbers... and surely the
cabel woudl haveto include asignal saying which channel was which?)

I'm using Telewest dig. cable, (formerly eurobell) in south west england.

Thanks

If the Philips unit does not support the Pace cable box directly, but does support the Philips
DTX3670 Digital Terrestrial box, then the Red-Eye translator (www.redremote.co.uk) may allow it to
control the Pace box.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:09 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
Fred Glaser

Hi James
May I ask how you have your DVDR880 connected to your satellite box? I can't
get sat record to work correctly with my Grundig Digibox. I have TV out
scart from digibox to EXT2 of DVDR880 and EXT1 of DVDR880 to TV.
Thanks
Fred
"James Covey-Crump" wrote in message
48...

Old July 23rd 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

"Fred Glaser" wrote in message
Hi James
May I ask how you have your DVDR880 connected to your satellite box? I

can't
get sat record to work correctly with my Grundig Digibox. I have TV out
scart from digibox to EXT2 of DVDR880 and EXT1 of DVDR880 to TV.
Thanks

Fred,

In that configuration you'd have to set the DVDR880 for SAT Record on EXT2.
However, that would mean that every time you switched the digibox on, you'll
start a recording on the DVDR because pin 8 on the digibox's TV SCART goes
active (and its pin 8 that makes this SAT record feature work!).

For SAT record that only works when you've programmed a recording, you must
have the VCR SCART of the digibox connected to the SAT record socket on the
DVDR.

I'm not sure if this will work, but try it and see ??

TV ---- (TV SCART) Digibox (VCR SCART) ---- (EXT1) DVDR880

Set DVDR880 SAT Record menu option to EXT1.

Now, you'll be relying on the Digibox to loop-through RGB from DVDR when you
want to play back a recording. It should do this but I don't have one so
can't advise on how to be sure it works.

Dave

Old July 23rd 03, 09:08 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mal Franks

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:09:27 +0100 Thorin sat down and started singing
about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf said "Hurry up". After being
threatened with a cloven skull from one well placed blow, Fred Glaser
said:

Hi James
May I ask how you have your DVDR880 connected to your satellite box? I can't
get sat record to work correctly with my Grundig Digibox. I have TV out
scart from digibox to EXT2 of DVDR880 and EXT1 of DVDR880 to TV.
Thanks
Fred

We got a Ferguson VCR a couple of years back partially because it had a
little remote control thingy which was connected to the VCR and you
placed it in front of your digibox. Unfortunately, at the back of the
manual it stated that it wasn't compatible with Grundig digiboxes!

Annoyingly we'd asked for a Pace digibox when we requested the SkyDigital
installation but the installer didn't have one with him as he'd not been
told about our preference. My missus gave him the go-ahead to give us the
Grundig box instead - that wouldn't have happened if I had not been at
work that day

--
Mal Franks
]
Old July 23rd 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema,uk.tech.digital-tv
James Covey-Crump

"Fred Glaser" wrote:
Hi James
May I ask how you have your DVDR880 connected to your satellite box? I
can't get sat record to work correctly with my Grundig Digibox. I have
TV out scart from digibox to EXT2 of DVDR880 and EXT1 of DVDR880 to
TV. Thanks

(I see this has been answered already)

It's actually a DTT STB (Thompson DTI1000). This box has two outputs one
(Composite/RGB) to TV, the second one intended for a VCR (Composite only)
or the EXT2 of the DVD Recorder in my case. The second one only applies
pin 8 when a recording is happening.

The setup has its faults...
1. The second output from the box is composite only.
2. I would prefer to loop through the DVD recorder to free up a SCART on
the telly (annoyingly the RGB output from the STB is blanked when recording
starts).

JamesCC