Why no SCART recording with a PVR

Old January 16th 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slow Flyer

Default Why no SCART recording with a PVR

"Bob Latham" wrote in message

Right, I see, I think. You think the recorder records the composite video
signal and not RGB - yes? I think not.

Looking at the SCART pin definitions it would appear that RGB signals can
only flow one way across any single SCART connection. My DVDR has two SCART
sockets; one with RGB in (from STB); the other with RGB out (to TV). My "one
for all" active SCART switch (15 @ Maplin) has the IN/OUT (VCR) socket
configured with RGB in (from VCR). Separate pins are allocated to permit
composite signals to flow in both directions at once across any single SCART
connection.

Poor choice of SCART socket can result in the use of the composite signal
when an RGB signal is available.

Old January 28th 07, 02:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony

Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:
Bob Latham wrote:
In article , Tony
wrote:

I assume then it does not record from analogue in.
I'm afraid it does which no doubt you see as indicative of a bad
design.

Probably,

Digital recording of composite can do a good job of recording, although
it tends to get less quality per bit of data than DTT. I have always
hated composite pictures, and LCD / projectors don't really do RGB
justice.

Right, I see, I think. You think the recorder records the composite video
signal and not RGB - yes? I think not. The playback on my DVD/HDD recorder
in 2 hour mode (SP) is considerably better than composite video from any
source I've ever scene.

As regards projectors not doing justice, well I have a sony KV32DS65 CRT
and on that I'm hard pushed to tell S-video from RGB. On the projector
which is DLP the difference is obvious.

Its the old up close story, although I chose to ignore the MPEG
artifacts. DTT RGB on CRT looks great, edges occur just once. High bit
rate Digital recording of composite video looks like composite video so
if your ok with that then you won't mind the recording.

Further away most people would be hard pushed to notice the difference
between DTT and analogue, and I have even trashed my CRT for the space
benefits of a LCD. I did notice on my CRT when one of my old STB
occassionally reverted to composite mode. I probably wouldn't notice on
my LCD TV, but I await the day a reasonably priced DTT/PVR with good
scaler/deinterlacer with HDMI out is available so I can get a good
picture on it (or HDTV even).

The RGB tv output from my Sky box goes to an active splitter. One output
goes to the Sony tv and the other to the RGB input on the DVD/HDD
recorder. The difference when you switch Sky between composite and RGB is
very obvious especially on the Sky menus. That difference is maintained
after a recording. It is not recording composite video it is recording RGB.

Cheers,

Bob.

You don't say that you have seen the output on a crt, so I'm not
surprised if you can't tell the difference between S-vid and RGB.

I not saying I've seen everything, but most of the time any benefit you
have with putting RGB into a progressive+scaled display is lost as it is
often converted back into composite or the deinterlacer and scaler is
not very good. Even many cheap crts (and some expensive ones) did this
in the last 5-10 years, due to people complaining they couldn't adjust
the colour.

--
Tony