Recording to DVD from TV with built in digital decoder

Old January 3rd 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
LincolnShep

Default Recording to DVD from TV with built in digital decoder

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I've just bought a second-hand Philips
28DW9625 TV and I'm struggling to work out how to connect it up to my
Bush DVR3003XI DVD recorder.

I can connect so that it plays a disc OR so that it can record from
digital channels but not both. I've downloaded the TV's instruction
book and it says that I must connect a VCR (doesn't mention DVD
recorders but I assume it would be the same) to Ext 2 (scart) but my
DVD player has separate input and output scart sockets and I can't work
out which one to connect it to.

I've tried connecting Ext2 (on the TV) to Input (on the DVD) and then
output (on the DVD) to Ext1 (another scart socket on the TV);
effectively making a loop. Although I could then record digital
channels the quality was very poor; could this be some sort of feedback

problem?

Any suggestions on how I could fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Shep

Old January 3rd 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vaughan

LincolnShep wrote:
[...]

I found a review of your TV online and it states that there are three
SCARTS, with only one being RGB and one providing an output to VCR. I
presume the third is a composite input.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing but maybe the problems are due
to mismatching composite and RGB connections. Have you connected the output
of the Bush DVD to the correct SCART input on the TV? What's the picture
like when playing back a DVD?

The best quality setting via SCART is RGB - can your Bush DVR output an RGB
signal? Perhaps it's only outputting composite, so connecting this to the
TV's ext1 (RGB) socket would not look good.

If you can only output composite/PAL from the DVR then the SCART socket on
the TV must be set to composite or the connection must be to the other
composite SCART input.

You say the digital signals sent to the DVR are poor quality - what are they
like when you watch them on the TV (not via the DVR)?

The TV only outputs composite signals via its ext 2 socket, so ensure that
your AV2 SCART input socket on the DVR is set to composite as well.

I think the TV's ext 2 would be an in/out and you might find that the input
SCART socket on the DVR is actually an in/out too, so you could use the same
connection for recording digital signals from the TV and playing back a DVD
too. You would only get a composite signal to the TV but this might be all
that the Bush is capable of.