Setting Up a S-Video capable Video

Old January 3rd 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stone Free

Default Setting Up a S-Video capable Video

I am getting extremly confused setting up my parents video recorder with
their new JVC 32DS6 TV.

Previously they owned a Panasonic Multisystem TV that they bought whilst
they where living in Abu Dhabi.

As far as I remember I set the AV input to S-Video in the VCR menus and
connected a S-VHS lead to the Panasonic.

This seemed to work fine both when recording on a normal Video tape, and
also but with far better picture quality with when using S-VHS tapes.

When I first bought my Sony VTX800 digibox it was delivered to my parents
address and they set it up temporarily with their TV. When I came over I
tried it with their Panasonic VCR and tested timed recordings. This was
done by putting the VCR into Ext-Link Mode with the Mode set to 1. The
freeview box successfully record programmes by controlling the VCR start
and stop times.

Thanks to the cackness of Sony unfortunately S-Video recording was not
possible as it is only supported using Smartlink enabled VCRs and
Panasonic are too miserly to continue producing Smartlink products.

I was hoping to set up the new LCD TV in the same manner as I did with
the Sony box and the Panasonic VCR. Unfortunately it does not work in
two respects.

1. Nothing happens automatically with the VCR, and it has to be set up
manually.
2. When set to S-Video mode on DTV and Ext 2 Scart socket recordings are
fine with the TV on, but if the TV is off whilst a timed recording is in
place then the picture is simultaneously dimm in some places and
extremely solarised in others.

2 is fixed by turning off S-Video for both DTV and Ext 2 Scart socket,
and by changing back to Video instead of S-Video in the VCR menu. Then
of course the picture will only be via composite.

Am I imagining correct operation whilst using the old Panasonic TV? I am
convinced that you could leave the input as S-Video, and the TV would
only output S-Video whilst using S-Video tapes. If I did not change the
VCR menu to S-Video then the picture was black and white.

Does anyone know how to set up the JVC 32DS6 correctly?

The Ext Link menu seems impossible to understand as it is using some
strange graphical format.

There are six boxes in the configuration screen, 4 on the left hand side
- Ext 1, Ext 3, TV, DTV
and two on the right hand side
- Ext 2 (Dubbing), Ext 4

There is also a big arrow that can point from any of the 4 boxes on the
left two any of the two on the right (I am not definate about the right
hand side as it has only been pointing to Ext 2 and I have not changed
it)

The positioning of the arrow did not seem to make any difference to
whether a picture was recorded on the video or not.

I also tried changing the video to Ext Link Mode 2, but it would always
record and also it would stop and start.

Any Ideas?