Weather sound level low on BBC1

Old January 1st 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Victor Delta

Default Weather sound level low on BBC1

Can anyone please explain to me why the national weather bulletin, which
follows the main BBC1 news bulletin at 10pm each weekday evening, usually
has a sound level a few dBs below the norm? It is a quite noticeable
reduction in sound level and if you tweak the TV volume setting you
invariably have to turn it down again at the end of the bulletin.

I expect there are no manned continuity suites theses days, but I would have
thought that some equipment would be constantly monitoring and adjusting the
overall sound level - after all, it's not rocket science and generally the
problem does not arise with other programmes on BBC1.

Old January 2nd 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:29:12 -0000, "Victor Delta"
wrote:

Can anyone please explain to me why the national weather bulletin, which
follows the main BBC1 news bulletin at 10pm each weekday evening, usually
has a sound level a few dBs below the norm? It is a quite noticeable
reduction in sound level and if you tweak the TV volume setting you
invariably have to turn it down again at the end of the bulletin.

I expect there are no manned continuity suites theses days, but I would have
thought that some equipment would be constantly monitoring and adjusting the
overall sound level - after all, it's not rocket science and generally the
problem does not arise with other programmes on BBC1.

The adverts seem to be louder on commercial stations despite denials
and one broadcaster being fined (I believe) by Ofcom. It's an own
goal really as I suspect many will just mute the sound anyway.
Old January 2nd 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scott wrote:
The adverts seem to be louder on commercial stations despite denials
and one broadcaster being fined (I believe) by Ofcom. It's an own
goal really as I suspect many will just mute the sound anyway.

*All* adverts are louder than *all* progs - or just some? Perhaps you need
to complain that some *progs* aren't loud enough.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 2nd 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:

The adverts seem to be louder on commercial stations despite denials
and one broadcaster being fined (I believe) by Ofcom. It's an own
goal really as I suspect many will just mute the sound anyway.

*All* adverts are louder than *all* progs - or just some? Perhaps you need
to complain that some *progs* aren't loud enough.

Including the Beeb's own!

It's an ongoing problem, I seem to recall some pres person trying to
explain compression on a "Points Of View" interview.

It's the new medja school types, along with film effect on everything.
They seem to think audio compression is necessary for junctions and
trails. Although we had the complete opposite with "Robin Hood" which
seemed to have a vast dynamic range.

I suspect that those who try to do it properly are slowly being got rid of!

I might be me, but it does seem to have worse worse on the beeb since Tv
went to the new PPM level!
Old January 2nd 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Margaret Willmer

Dickie mint wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:

[...]

It's not just the adverts which have different levels - within a
programme the background music and effects are always louder than the
speech. It's bad for me as my husband is quite deaf. We have the
volume turned up for the speech and then the rest is deafening for me.
I'm seriously thinking of putting cotton wool in my ears.

Seems that it should be quite easy to level it all. But that might
impact on the "artistry"

Margaret
Old January 2nd 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:20:00 +0000, Dickie mint
wrote:

It's an ongoing problem, I seem to recall some pres person trying to
explain compression on a "Points Of View" interview.

It's the new medja school types, along with film effect on everything.
They seem to think audio compression is necessary for junctions and
trails. Although we had the complete opposite with "Robin Hood" which
seemed to have a vast dynamic range.

I suspect that those who try to do it properly are slowly being got rid of!

I might be me, but it does seem to have worse worse on the beeb since Tv
went to the new PPM level!

We had reason to make a complaint recently about excessive voiceover levels
at the 1, 6 and 7 junctions - it was peaking 9 and was grossly distorted.
The message that came back was that the announcer had somehow turned the
gain up on their mic.
Why there is no limiter on it is a mystery, as is the fact that no-one
seems to routinely look at a PPM.
Old January 2nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson

In message , Margaret Willmer
writes
Dickie mint wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, when Channel 4 (analogue) transmitted a run of 'Hill
Street Blues', the audio level during the programme was so low that I
had to set the volume control at maximum. When the adverts came along, I
had to leap up and turn the volume right down (no RC, of course, for my
old Sony TV). Still, it kept a potential couch potato fit!
Ian.

Old January 2nd 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:34:16 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

|In message , Margaret Willmer
writes
|Dickie mint wrote:
| Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
| In article ,
| Scott wrote:
|
| The adverts seem to be louder on commercial stations despite denials
| and one broadcaster being fined (I believe) by Ofcom. It's an own
| goal really as I suspect many will just mute the sound anyway.
|

| *All* adverts are louder than *all* progs - or just some? Perhaps
|you need
| to complain that some *progs* aren't loud enough.
|
| Including the Beeb's own!
| It's an ongoing problem, I seem to recall some pres person trying to
|explain compression on a "Points Of View" interview.
| It's the new medja school types, along with film effect on
|everything. They seem to think audio compression is necessary for
|junctions and trails. Although we had the complete opposite with
|"Robin Hood" which seemed to have a vast dynamic range.
| I suspect that those who try to do it properly are slowly being got
|rid of!
| I might be me, but it does seem to have worse worse on the beeb
|since Tv went to the new PPM level!
|
|It's not just the adverts which have different levels - within a
|programme the background music and effects are always louder than the
|speech. It's bad for me as my husband is quite deaf. We have the
|volume turned up for the speech and then the rest is deafening for me.
|I'm seriously thinking of putting cotton wool in my ears.
|
|Seems that it should be quite easy to level it all. But that might
|impact on the "artistry"

Nebula DigiTV Audio Levels - Controls has slider labled Ad Vol which does
not as far as I can see/hear does not do anything :-(
It should be possible to detect audio compression, (high volume over the
whole of the audio range) I wonder why Nebula and others have not
implemented such a control.

Old January 2nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

We had reason to make a complaint recently about excessive voiceover levels
at the 1, 6 and 7 junctions - it was peaking 9 and was grossly distorted.
The message that came back was that the announcer had somehow turned the
gain up on their mic.
Why there is no limiter on it is a mystery, as is the fact that no-one
seems to routinely look at a PPM.

IME they're used as a handy spot to place 'Post-It' stickers these days.

Old January 2nd 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Scott
writes
wrote:

Can anyone please explain to me why the national weather bulletin, which
follows the main BBC1 news bulletin at 10pm each weekday evening, usually
has a sound level a few dBs below the norm? It is a quite noticeable
reduction in sound level and if you tweak the TV volume setting you
invariably have to turn it down again at the end of the bulletin.

I expect there are no manned continuity suites theses days, but I would have
thought that some equipment would be constantly monitoring and adjusting the
overall sound level - after all, it's not rocket science and generally the
problem does not arise with other programmes on BBC1.

The adverts seem to be louder on commercial stations despite denials
and one broadcaster being fined (I believe) by Ofcom. It's an own
goal really as I suspect many will just mute the sound anyway.

Afters many years of muting ads I've recently started to mute the breaks
between BBC programmes.

A sad day indeed.
--
Ian