Weather sound level low on BBC1

Old January 2nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint

Default Weather sound level low on BBC1

Mark Carver wrote:
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

We had reason to make a complaint recently about excessive voiceover levels
at the 1, 6 and 7 junctions - it was peaking 9 and was grossly distorted.
The message that came back was that the announcer had somehow turned the
gain up on their mic.
Why there is no limiter on it is a mystery, as is the fact that no-one
seems to routinely look at a PPM.

IME they're used as a handy spot to place 'Post-It' stickers these days.

I remember, in the "old" days, having to ring Studio B to get them to
set the right levels for MT opts! The level might be correct on opt
test, but up or down on opt. The excuse was that the sound man was busy
lining up tape machines and things. Not too many sound people in the
gallery.

They had a limiter on the desk, but it always distorted!

Pres was always correct when it was engineer driven.

Perhaps we should start a 2007 campaign, complaining to the broadcasters
every time there's a problem. Though thinking about it I have an idea
that there's an industry wide committee looking into it. I know the
RNIB & RNID are always having a go.

They've obviously had no success!