BBC HD on DTT CH 501

Old January 1st 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Fr J. Hackett

Default BBC HD on DTT CH 501

While conducting a scan of available channels on my computer
connected USB TV adaptor a few minutes ago, I noticed a BBC HD channel
at 501.

I know the BBC have been carrying out an HD DTT trial but I thought
that had ended.

However, whereas I can receive the standard definition DTT channels,
the BBC HD channel prompts the "no signal" legend on my screen,
despite seemingly to posess a working EPG.

Am I right to assume that there are current HD broadcasts
and they are encrypted?

fr.

Old January 1st 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
stevo

Fr J. Hackett wrote:
While conducting a scan of available channels on my computer
connected USB TV adaptor a few minutes ago, I noticed a BBC HD channel
at 501.

I know the BBC have been carrying out an HD DTT trial but I thought
that had ended.

However, whereas I can receive the standard definition DTT channels,
the BBC HD channel prompts the "no signal" legend on my screen,
despite seemingly to posess a working EPG.

Am I right to assume that there are current HD broadcasts
and they are encrypted?

fr.

What software are you using? MythTV will show the channels if your
computer is powerfull enough.

To try just burn a KnoppMyth ISO to CD and boot.

http://knoppmythwiki.org/
Old January 1st 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

Fr J. Hackett wrote:

While conducting a scan of available channels on my computer
connected USB TV adaptor a few minutes ago, I noticed a BBC HD channel
at 501.

Which transmitter?

Am I right to assume that there are current HD broadcasts
and they are encrypted?

They aren't/weren't encrypted, but receivers that can can actually
decode HD are not in general circulation.
Old January 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Fr J. Hackett

stevo wrote:
Fr J. Hackett wrote:
While conducting a scan of available channels on my computer
connected USB TV adaptor a few minutes ago, I noticed a BBC HD channel
at 501.

I know the BBC have been carrying out an HD DTT trial but I thought
that had ended.

However, whereas I can receive the standard definition DTT channels,
the BBC HD channel prompts the "no signal" legend on my screen,
despite seemingly to posess a working EPG.

Am I right to assume that there are current HD broadcasts
and they are encrypted?

fr.

What software are you using? MythTV will show the channels if your
computer is powerfull enough.

I'm using Eye TV on a Mac.

fr.

Old January 1st 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Fr J. Hackett

Andy Burns wrote:
Fr J. Hackett wrote:

While conducting a scan of available channels on my computer
connected USB TV adaptor a few minutes ago, I noticed a BBC HD channel
at 501.

Which transmitter?

Since I'm in London, I'm assuming it's Crystal Palace.

Am I right to assume that there are current HD broadcasts
and they are encrypted?

They aren't/weren't encrypted, but receivers that can can actually
decode HD are not in general circulation.

Having just checked again and it was rather remiss of me not to notice,
the info
bar at the bottom of the screen displaying now and next is displaying
the now and
next for BBC1 and the actual EPG entry isn't there so apologies for
my slightly misleading information.

*However*, there is most definitely a channel marked BBC HD1 at 501 on
my
Miglia TVMini which, if I'm not mistaken, I haven't noticed before
in my short time of ownership of this gadget.

I haven't checked my normal Freeview box but I suspect the channel
would
not be recognised due to the different codecs involved, from what I
gather.

fr.