Media player opinions

Old January 3rd 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Default Media player opinions

Zimmy wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
Hope this isn't too off topic.

Considering networks are going IP TV these days I got a Pinnacle
media player (SC200) for chrissy but am greatly dissappointed with
it. It just doesn't seem to be a consumer product.

If you want a non-consumer product that works well consider this:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm

Bit of a guddle to set up but a media centre this good for around 50
(from Argos) that also plays games isn't to be sniffed at.
No warranties given though! It has a fan but is pretty quiet and
unobtrusive IMHO.

Requires a modded Xbox though, does it not? Didn't think Argos sold those!

Old January 3rd 07, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

Pyriform wrote:
Zimmy wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
Hope this isn't too off topic.

Considering networks are going IP TV these days I got a Pinnacle
media player (SC200) for chrissy but am greatly dissappointed with
it. It just doesn't seem to be a consumer product.

If you want a non-consumer product that works well consider this:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm

Bit of a guddle to set up but a media centre this good for around 50
(from Argos) that also plays games isn't to be sniffed at.
No warranties given though! It has a fan but is pretty quiet and
unobtrusive IMHO.

Requires a modded Xbox though, does it not? Didn't think Argos sold
those!

Yes it does require a modded XBox, that's why I said it is a bit of a guddle
to set up and 'non-consumer'. Any XBox can be 'softmodded' without any
chips, wires or soldering and can easily be restored back to its original
state if you like. You just get one of three games and download an
appropriate savegame to get linux running on it. If you're at all
technically minded its quite easy as there are loads of sites that tell you
how.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony

Pyriform wrote:
Tony wrote:
My partner bought the unit from Amazon, so I was able to return it
paying only for postage.

Didn't bother trying alternative server software then?

No, I didn't even feel like trying to reload the Pinnacle software. I
probably buggered up the computer by installing .net framework 2.0, when
it only wanted 1.1. I had to uninstall then install 1.1. At least it
all seemed happy at the PC then (stopped complaining and databased in
the files). Media player still didn't detect it.

I did consider Twonkyvision, but the units performance in other areas
was enough to make me think it wasn't worth the effort and seemed very
fragile. It just smacked of lack of development.

--
Tony
Old January 3rd 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Tony wrote:
Pyriform wrote:
Tony wrote:
My partner bought the unit from Amazon, so I was able to return it
paying only for postage.

Didn't bother trying alternative server software then?

No, I didn't even feel like trying to reload the Pinnacle software. I
probably buggered up the computer by installing .net framework 2.0,
when it only wanted 1.1. I had to uninstall then install 1.1. At
least it all seemed happy at the PC then (stopped complaining and
databased in the files). Media player still didn't detect it.

I did consider Twonkyvision, but the units performance in other areas
was enough to make me think it wasn't worth the effort and seemed very
fragile. It just smacked of lack of development.

I wish you luck finding something better!

Mine mostly gets used for streaming video, in which capacity it works
flawlessly. I'd use it for music playback more if the interface wasn't so
damned clunky (but nowhere near as slow as what you were experiencing). One
day, I'll get around to setting up a load of playlists so I can quickly
select a range of music for every occasion...