Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

Old January 1st 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

Default Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

Now the bad.
1) Out of 17 programs I set it to record - not one recorded the start and
end.

Programmes can start early or late and if the programme guide is not updated
very frequently then this will happen. On my TUTV Anytime DTR there is an
option to turn the 'Recording Guard' on and set it, to say, three minutes,
so that three minutes before the advertised start time and after the end
time are added. The downside is that this takes up more space on the hard
drive and it means fast forwarding at the start to find the true beginning.
Also, I found that sometimes, even three minutes is not enough if the
channel is running later than this.

Using the EPG to set record times is just awful and I always set
record times by hand on the Sony but the Toppy doesn't offer this.

No? Can you not select the programme to record on the EPG and then edit it?
On my box, you can edit it in 'Planned Recordings'.

2) The case buzzes profusely and I have to place weights on the case top
to quieten it without blocking the air vents.

Sounds like the hard drive causing vibration, or the fan.

I do not like your solution as it may be pressing on something, or driving
up the temperature within the box.

3) It takes ages for the EPG to fill in when you switch it on. I've had to
wait 10 minutes to be able to set a recording time - not good! The Sony
is just there as soon as you switch on.

Does this mean that the EPG is populated every time it is swtiched on?

What about not switching it off, but putting it on standby?

4) You can't use both the S-Video and RGB out simultaneously.

Why would you want to?

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella