Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

Old December 31st 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

Default Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

In message , Bob Latham
wrote

Now the bad.

Which version of firmware was box running

1) Out of 17 programs I set it to record - not one recorded the start and
end. Using the EPG to set record times is just awful and I always set
record times by hand on the Sony but the Toppy doesn't offer this.

Yes it does. The EPG is just one way of setting a recording and many
people install TAPs that automatically pad the beginning and end of
recordings and/or take care of timing conflicts.

There is manual way of setting the timers via the menus.

In some respects you should also be criticising the broadcasters and
asking why they don't adhere to their published program timings

2) The case buzzes profusely and I have to place weights on the case top
to quieten it without blocking the air vents.

The quality of hard disks does seem to be variable but I'm sure this is
not just limited to the Toppy. My 160G hard disk was virtually silent
and vibration free. I have since replaced the disk with a 400G version
and the vibration can be felt if I lift the case. However i operation I
cannot hear the disk. again there is a TAP that can help with some disk
noise by setting one of the hard disk's parameters.

3) It takes ages for the EPG to fill in when you switch it on. I've had to
wait 10 minutes to be able to set a recording time - not good! The Sony
is just there as soon as you switch on.

Using an EPG TAP on my 5800 the EPG does take from 5 to 10 minutes for
around a weeks worth of EPG bit only for the first time its used. This
may be the same on the native Toppy interface. The TAP I use then
stores this information on the disk and on subsequent switch-on the EPG
is virtually instantaneous (give or take a few seconds).

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 31st 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan Vann

Alan wrote:
In message , Bob Latham
wrote

1) Out of 17 programs I set it to record - not one recorded the start and
end. Using the EPG to set record times is just awful and I always set
record times by hand on the Sony but the Toppy doesn't offer this.

Yes it does. The EPG is just one way of setting a recording and many
people install TAPs that automatically pad the beginning and end of
recordings and/or take care of timing conflicts.

There is manual way of setting the timers via the menus.

Or you just hit the record button twice from the EPG, it then brings up
a screen that allows you to change the start time and duration....

In some respects you should also be criticising the broadcasters and
asking why they don't adhere to their published program timings

Indeed

Alan
Old December 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Mike Henry wrote:
But the fact is that the
broadcasters deliberately and persistently run programmes to start
earlier than the published time (the last Xmas Lecture started almost 2
minutes early) or finish later than the published time. This scheduling
isn't sloppiness, it's childishly planned in the name of "competition"
(or "spoiler tactics" against other channels).

Victorian railways probably kept better time than today's broadcasters,
and the best technology they had was clockwork and steam. I wonder
sometimes why we bother with quartz crystals and MSF radio timecode
clocks, because despite the capability for extreme accuracy, there doesn't
seem to be anything we do nowadays that really needs it. We'd probably
manage to organise our days just as well with sundials.

The fact that you have to pad start and finish times for television
broadcast recordings is just one of those things you have to get used to.
Currently I'm padding start and finish times by 3 minutes unless it's on
BBC1 or BBC2, and that seems to be a reasonable guarantee of success. For
some reason, BBC programmes rarely start early but they frequently run
late, so depending on how late a programme is scheduled and what has
preceeded it, I sometimes pad end points on BBC1 and BBC2 by larger
amounts.

Old January 1st 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:
Victorian railways probably kept better time than today's broadcasters,
and the best technology they had was clockwork and steam.

Not so - the advert breaks on ITV seem to be timed to the split second. Or
often split shot. So it can be done for some things. ;-(

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 2nd 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Saville

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:16:29 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:
Victorian railways probably kept better time than today's broadcasters,
and the best technology they had was clockwork and steam.

Not so - the advert breaks on ITV seem to be timed to the split second. Or
often split shot. So it can be done for some things. ;-(

But they *want* you to see those :-)

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old January 2nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good

The message
from "Dave Saville" contains these words:

Roderick Stewart wrote:
Victorian railways probably kept better time than today's broadcasters,
and the best technology they had was clockwork and steam.

Not so - the advert breaks on ITV seem to be timed to the split second. Or
often split shot. So it can be done for some things. ;-(

But they *want* you to see those :-)

The point is: We _don't!_ :-(

--
Regards, John.

Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.