Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

Old December 31st 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
André Coutanche

Default Topfield TF5800 PVR - the good, the bad and the noisey

Bob Latham wrote:

Now the bad.
1) Out of 17 programs I set it to record - not one recorded the
start and end. Using the EPG to set record times is just awful and
I always set record times by hand on the Sony but the Toppy
doesn't offer this.

Let's be clear here. The Topfield did exactly what you asked it to.
The reason you lost starts and ends of programmes is because the EPG
lies to you. The reason the EPG lies to you is because the
broadcasters want it that way. The reason you haven't discovered this
before is, as you say, because you usually set timers manually.

The criticism that the Topfield doesn't allow manual setting of timers
is mistaken - it does. However, its 'native' timer setting screens are
pretty awful and, as has been mentioned, TAPs are available to do a
better job. The simplest just to do this is UK Timers (possibly with
the Timer Extend TAP to automatically pad the start and end times if
you started with the EPG), but, to coin a phrase, other TAPs are
available ;-) .

André Coutanche

Old December 31st 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"André Coutanche" wrote in message
Bob Latham wrote:

Now the bad.
1) Out of 17 programs I set it to record - not one recorded the
start and end. Using the EPG to set record times is just awful and
I always set record times by hand on the Sony but the Toppy
doesn't offer this.

Let's be clear here. The Topfield did exactly what you asked it to.
The reason you lost starts and ends of programmes is because the EPG
lies to you. The reason the EPG lies to you is because the
broadcasters want it that way. The reason you haven't discovered this
before is, as you say, because you usually set timers manually.

In what way does the EPG lie to me,

Why do the broadcasters want it this way?

I ask because I recorded a film from F4 last week and I
lost 2 minutes at the start [1] and got an extra half hour
at the end.

I just assumed this was a random mistake (the second
one on that channel in a week [2]) rather than some
grand conspiracy.

tim

[1] I actually lost 2 minues because I am programmed to start
early.

[2] I would have lost half an hour at the end had I not checked
part way through. I then had the aggravation of adding a
manual new recording as it isn't possible on my machine
to change a recording in progress.

Old December 31st 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Tim..... wrote:
Let's be clear here. The Topfield did exactly what you asked it to.
The reason you lost starts and ends of programmes is because the EPG
lies to you. The reason the EPG lies to you is because the
broadcasters want it that way. The reason you haven't discovered this
before is, as you say, because you usually set timers manually.

In what way does the EPG lie to me,

Why do the broadcasters want it this way?

They want you to either-

- tune to their channel some time in advance of the programme and watch it
live to be sure of seeing the whole thing, and thereby have to sit through
all the adverts as well, or-

- buy the DVD.

I think this may be why they perpetrate all the other electronic
vandalism, such as corner logos, curtailed end credits with voice-overs,
or breaks in the middle for pointless news bulletins covering material
available 24 hours a day on other channels, so that the only way to see a
broadcast programme unblemished is to buy it. Either that or television
presentation departments are full of egomaniacal control freaks.

Old January 1st 07, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Whitfield

I ask because I recorded a film from F4 last week and I
lost 2 minutes at the start [1] and got an extra half hour
at the end.

If you don't want to go all out for customising the machine, the
TimerExtend TAP works in the background and will add guard time to the
beginning and end of each recording.

[2] I would have lost half an hour at the end had I not checked
part way through. I then had the aggravation of adding a
manual new recording as it isn't possible on my machine
to change a recording in progress.

No; all you do with a running recording is change to that channel and
press the Record button to bring up an on-screen menu. You can than
change the end time, to shorten or lengthen the current recording.

Nigel.

Old January 1st 07, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Nigel Whitfield" wrote in message
ups.com...
I ask because I recorded a film from F4 last week and I
lost 2 minutes at the start [1] and got an extra half hour
at the end.

If you don't want to go all out for customising the machine, the
TimerExtend TAP works in the background and will add guard time to the
beginning and end of each recording.

[2] I would have lost half an hour at the end had I not checked
part way through. I then had the aggravation of adding a
manual new recording as it isn't possible on my machine
to change a recording in progress.

No; all you do with a running recording is change to that channel and
press the Record button to bring up an on-screen menu. You can than
change the end time, to shorten or lengthen the current recording.

You misunderstand.

I don't have a Toppy (I have still failed to find somewhere
locally that I can buy one).

I was commenting generally about the EPG

tim