What is flashing up on Digital?

Old December 31st 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Capt Jack Sparrow

Default What is flashing up on Digital?

I have noticed something flashing up briefly on some Digital Channels -
mainly Sky3, but also on E4 and More 4. It appears for a fraction of a
second and looks like a text page, divided with black with white text on the
left, and white with black text on the right. Its appearance appears to be
random, and due to the speed I cannot read what it says.

More of an annoyance than a big problem, but any suggestions what it may be?

For reference I am viewing via freeview and using Netgem boxes, both of
which I have rescanned in case of any hiccups there, off of Sandy Heath.
All BBC channels, ITV1, 3 & 4, and Channel 4, 5 and Film 4 all seem
unaffected, or I have not been looking at the screen at the precise moment
if it did occur.

Old December 31st 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nick Austin

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:18:15 -0000, "Capt Jack Sparrow"
wrote:

I have noticed something flashing up briefly on some Digital Channels -
mainly Sky3, but also on E4 and More 4. It appears for a fraction of a
second and looks like a text page, divided with black with white text on the
left, and white with black text on the right. Its appearance appears to be
random, and due to the speed I cannot read what it says.

Either a faulty teletext decoder or faulty OSD generator?

Nick.

Old December 31st 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Capt Jack Sparrow

wrote:

I have noticed something flashing up briefly on some Digital Channels -
mainly Sky3, but also on E4 and More 4. It appears for a fraction of a
second and looks like a text page, divided with black with white text on
the
left, and white with black text on the right. Its appearance appears to
be
random, and due to the speed I cannot read what it says.

Either a faulty teletext decoder or faulty OSD generator?

Nick.

Erm, could that be translated to plain english please? I regret I am not an
expert on these things.
Are you saying that both Netgem boxes, bought at different times from
different sources, may have developed and identical fault at the same time?
Sounds unlikely to me, but I suppose entirely possible. Also, why would it
only appears to effect certain channels?

Old December 31st 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Digi

"Capt Jack Sparrow" wrote in message

I have noticed something flashing up briefly on some Digital Channels -
mainly Sky3, but also on E4 and More 4. It appears for a fraction of a
second and looks like a text page, divided with black with white text on
the left, and white with black text on the right. Its appearance appears
to be random, and due to the speed I cannot read what it says.

More of an annoyance than a big problem, but any suggestions what it may
be?

For reference I am viewing via freeview and using Netgem boxes, both of
which I have rescanned in case of any hiccups there, off of Sandy Heath.
All BBC channels, ITV1, 3 & 4, and Channel 4, 5 and Film 4 all seem
unaffected, or I have not been looking at the screen at the precise moment
if it did occur.

Are you sure that its appearance is random? If it appears a few seconds
before a new programme is due to start it is almost certainly a signal sent
on the transmission. Although the text/graphic you are seeing is probably
being displayed by your particular box on receipt of this signal(as opposed
to being transmitted).

If it is appearing as a new programme starts it would suggest that certain
channels are sending a signal that your box cannot decode.

Old December 31st 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Capt Jack Sparrow

"Digi" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

It does not appear to be at any specific point in the program. Did think of
markers or such like for adverts, etc, but it does not seem to follow that
pattern. Caught a glimpse a while ago when watching the Film 4 trailers and
I *think* it said NHS somewhere on the right hand panel, but cannot be sure.
Did half consider recording a bit and running though if I saw it, but not
got to that stage yet.

Old December 31st 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nick Austin

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:49:37 -0000, "Capt Jack Sparrow"
wrote:

"Nick Austin" wrote in message
.. .

Either a faulty teletext decoder or faulty OSD generator?

Nick.

Erm, could that be translated to plain english please? I regret I am not an
expert on these things.
Are you saying that both Netgem boxes, bought at different times from
different sources, may have developed and identical fault at the same time?
Sounds unlikely to me, but I suppose entirely possible. Also, why would it
only appears to effect certain channels?

No. I'm suggesting that the TV might have a fault.

Nick.

Old December 31st 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Capt Jack Sparrow

wrote:

"Nick Austin" wrote in message
. ..

Either a faulty teletext decoder or faulty OSD generator?

Nick.

Erm, could that be translated to plain english please? I regret I am not
an
expert on these things.
Are you saying that both Netgem boxes, bought at different times from
different sources, may have developed and identical fault at the same
time?
Sounds unlikely to me, but I suppose entirely possible. Also, why would
it
only appears to effect certain channels?

No. I'm suggesting that the TV might have a fault.

Nick.

Again, two different TVs, which are different makes, ones a Philips, ones a
Bush. Thats what puzzling me.

Old December 31st 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Barry

Capt Jack Sparrow wrote:

Again, two different TVs, which are different makes, ones a Philips, ones a
Bush. Thats what puzzling me.

Yes I noticed an anomaly on Film4 yesterday afternoon, I saw a black and
red column 'flash' on the left side of the screen, about 20% of the
width of the screen. It happened about 3 ro 4 times in an hour.

I have a Sony TV.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old December 31st 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

Capt Jack Sparrow wrote:

"Digi" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

hmmm, isn't there an NHS page or something?... I wonder if it is
somehow causing problems, maybe with the weird weather?

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...articleId=1164
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old December 31st 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bit head

:
wrote:

"Nick Austin" wrote in message
.. .

Either a faulty teletext decoder or faulty OSD generator?

Nick.

Erm, could that be translated to plain english please? I regret I am not
an
expert on these things.
Are you saying that both Netgem boxes, bought at different times from
different sources, may have developed and identical fault at the same
time?
Sounds unlikely to me, but I suppose entirely possible. Also, why would
it
only appears to effect certain channels?

No. I'm suggesting that the TV might have a fault.

Nick.

I also see this on my Netgem every time I change over to Sky three
(black page with some white text and a set of red/green/yellow/blue
buttons). I just assumed that it is the weird Sky MHEG loading as it
only appears on switching _to_ the channel for a couple of fields, never
seen it on any other channel and never seen it at any other time whilst
watching Sky 3. I think that it's something that we have to live with.