Channel 5 up to something?

Old December 30th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Channel 5 up to something?

Got a curious problem, whenever we switch to channel 5 the screen goes
black after about 10 seconds. Anyone else getting this?

On CSI night too!

Darvel xmitter.

Old December 30th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Leigh-Anne Mills

Yep also had it, signal from Crystal Palace. But there is terrible weather
out there.

ups.com...

Old December 31st 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article . com,
ercial wrote:
Got a curious problem, whenever we switch to channel 5 the screen goes
black after about 10 seconds. Anyone else getting this?

On CSI night too!

Yep.. two problems, seperate machines albeit working in
tandem with other av equipment; both problems regarding
the C5 group of channels:

1. A Sagem 2640 that, if powered down on C5, on
startup refuses to change to other channels,
even though the display says it has. Same
happens with Five US and Five Life. Been
happening for a couple of nights..

Temporarily solved by pressing record and waiting
a while until it decides to start recording.. and
then it changes as 'normal'. (Best to power down
set to a channel other than one of the C5s)

2. Pace Box - tonight - suddenly re-programmed a
number of it's channels, insisting on re-grouping
all the 'Five' channels together in three consecutive
slots.
Most of the re-programmed ended up with channel
numbers stretching up the heap from 1000+

Solved by re-capturing channels.. all 84 back to
normal after this couple of a minute exercise...

No explanation ..although, apart from the weather, I get
the impression that Talconeston have been fiddling around
the C5 transmissions. The C5 channels have been and still
are noticeably 'lower-powered' than the rest..

hope adds ..if not, well ..a Happy New Year to one and all!

) Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=-
http://www.billsimpson.com/
Old December 31st 06, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Digi

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Got a curious problem, whenever we switch to channel 5 the screen goes
black after about 10 seconds. Anyone else getting this?

Incompatibility between transmission and software in your STB. The fact that
it goes black after a few seconds points to the "Big Red Button" not loading
properly. The solution is for your box manufacturer to modify the box
software OR "Five" to make changes at their end to take account of your
particular box.

In the meantime, find the button on your remote which stops the mheg
picture on "Five" or any future channel which suffers this fate!

Old December 31st 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Wow. Lucky that the third option, reloading the channels, fixed it!
Thanks Bill!

Digi wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 31st 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tone

Hi,

Yes,

Happened to both my boxes yesterday at tea-time (Sandy Heath, Beds) A
Philips DTR 500 and a Humax PVR 8000T. As it happened to both boxes
simultaneously, I knew it was 'them' rather than me. Doesn't say much for
the design of these boxes though!

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow. Lucky that the third option, reloading the channels, fixed it!
Thanks Bill!

Digi wrote:
ups.com...

Old January 1st 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Yes, mine was a Philips too. I haven't noticed any new interactive
content on C5 tho, wonder what they are faffing around with?

Also it might not be purely box faults; Philips laid down the standard
for VCDs during the development of the CDi mpeg system (the orange book
for VCDs insists they must have the CDi folder in the root directory
enclosing the appropriate software for CDi playback). Unfortunately all
VCD software now, such as Nero, use optimisation algorithms that don't
fully comply with the standard which means they usually freeze on CDi
machines at some point. This could be similar; CH5 might not be exactly
following the standard causing unpredictable results in different
hardware.

Tone wrote:
Hi,

Yes,

Happened to both my boxes yesterday at tea-time (Sandy Heath, Beds) A
Philips DTR 500 and a Humax PVR 8000T. As it happened to both boxes
simultaneously, I knew it was 'them' rather than me. Doesn't say much for
the design of these boxes though!

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow. Lucky that the third option, reloading the channels, fixed it!
Thanks Bill!

Digi wrote:
ups.com...

Old January 1st 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

Did it with my Sony during Jason and the Argonauts on Five.

"Tone" wrote in message
Hi,

Yes,

Happened to both my boxes yesterday at tea-time (Sandy Heath, Beds) A
Philips DTR 500 and a Humax PVR 8000T. As it happened to both boxes
simultaneously, I knew it was 'them' rather than me. Doesn't say much for
the design of these boxes though!

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow. Lucky that the third option, reloading the channels, fixed it!
Thanks Bill!

Digi wrote:
ups.com...