Radios Wales & Cymru now on DTT Mux1 in Wales

Old July 19th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gladys Pugh

Default Radios Wales & Cymru now on DTT Mux1 in Wales

Having become totally bored by the TV programmes on offer
I thought doing an Add Channels might be a bit more exciting.

To say I nearly wet myself with all the excitement might just
be an understatement ( but yes I've discovered BBC Wales'
two Radio stations now testing on Mux1 here in Wales.

At the mo' they're on the (unassigned) channels 801 and 802
(but YMMV) no 'Info' and just a plain black screen.

Remember you read it here first ffffolks !

Gawd - now I'm bored again already !

Old July 20th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Angove

In message ,
Gladys Pugh wrote:

Having become totally bored by the TV programmes on offer
I thought doing an Add Channels might be a bit more exciting.

To say I nearly wet myself with all the excitement might just
be an understatement ( but yes I've discovered BBC Wales'
two Radio stations now testing on Mux1 here in Wales.

At the mo' they're on the (unassigned) channels 801 and 802
(but YMMV) no 'Info' and just a plain black screen.

Remember you read it here first ffffolks !

Gawd - now I'm bored again already !

Aww, shame, they're not here in Ingerlund :-(

If they're on Mux1 does that make it unlikely that they will come over
the border? Something to do with the fact that BBC1 in Wales is stat
muxed with all the others but in England BBC1 is constant so there are
fewer bits to steal for other reasons?

Never mind, I'm moving back to Wales soon...

....but probably to an area where DTT is impossible :-((

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Old July 21st 03, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek

We have Radio Wales /Cymru, Radio Scotland /Nan Gaidheal and Radio
Ulster........shouldn't we have a Radio England ?

Old July 21st 03, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David van Kemenade

"Derek" [email protected](remove this).co.uk wrote in message
We have Radio Wales /Cymru, Radio Scotland /Nan Gaidheal and Radio
Ulster........shouldn't we have a Radio England ?

Instead of "Radio England" there are dozens of local radio stations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/services.shtml.

David

Old July 21st 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

Aww, shame, they're not here in Ingerlund :-(

If they're on Mux1 does that make it unlikely that they will come over
the border? Something to do with the fact that BBC1 in Wales is stat
muxed with all the others but in England BBC1 is constant so there are
fewer bits to steal for other reasons?

BBC One/mux 1 in the 'nations' is stat-muxed because they have a complete array
of multiplexing equipment and requisite feeds meaning everything is coded
locally, this allows for the usual BBC One opt-out in addition to BBC Two (2W?).
The English regions only recode BBC One at a CBR leaving them unable to opt-out
of any other service since the rest of the mux is coded and stat-muxed in London
and identical across England (with the exception of London itself, ironically).

So it's not a matter of bandwidth, stealing 128/192k is pretty trivial, but the
fact Cardiff has all the kit necessary to manage a distinct Mux 1. It might be
possible to leave a namespace in mux 1 for 'your local radio' then each regional
centre could insert their station, I don't know if they've considered this.

Az.

Old July 21st 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"David van Kemenade" wrote in message
"Derek" [email protected](remove this).co.uk wrote in message
We have Radio Wales /Cymru, Radio Scotland /Nan Gaidheal and Radio
Ulster........shouldn't we have a Radio England ?

Instead of "Radio England" there are dozens of local radio stations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/services.shtml.

Each much less generous funded it should be said.

Az.