Distance from aerial to masthead amp

Old December 31st 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

Default Distance from aerial to masthead amp

In message , Richard Tobin
wrote
In article . com,
I McD wrote:

I have always regarded 1 mtr as the minimum, though the local cowboys
often fit em about 8 inches on the same sky 'L' arm as their ****ty
little contract aerials.

Why is there a minimum?

Some manufactures build the amp into the aerial i.e. millimetres from
aerial electrical tap-off.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 31st 06, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Marky P wrote:

[Snip]

Apparently, the builders (or electricians) have installed TV
points in every room. I was wondering if the coax from these points
just bugger off into the loft unconnected or whether they are linked
through from the lounge (like they do with some flats). What's the
likelyhood here anyone?

They could even be wired as a ring main ;-((

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old January 1st 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Marky P" wrote in message
Hi,

What's the minimum distance a masthead amp can be to an aerial? I
heard a figure of arounf 2 metres, but that sounds a bit OTT. Also,
if a masthead amp was used with a loft aerial, should the amp be
behind the aerial to avoid feedback or doesn't it matter?

Marky P.

I've always used 1 metre as a guide, although I know of a mid Wales rigger
who used to hang them on the back of MBM46's and Colour Kings without any
noticeable effects. I suppose being behind the reflector helped.

In a loft I've kept them at least 1 metre and behind the reflector and
another few metres from the PSU and never had a problem.

Old January 1st 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:16:32 -0000, "Doctor D"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

What's the minimum distance a masthead amp can be to an aerial? I
heard a figure of arounf 2 metres, but that sounds a bit OTT. Also,
if a masthead amp was used with a loft aerial, should the amp be
behind the aerial to avoid feedback or doesn't it matter?

Marky P.

I've always used 1 metre as a guide, although I know of a mid Wales rigger
who used to hang them on the back of MBM46's and Colour Kings without any
noticeable effects. I suppose being behind the reflector helped.

In a loft I've kept them at least 1 metre and behind the reflector and
another few metres from the PSU and never had a problem.

Very helpful. Thanks :-)

Marky P