DTT on a set-top aerial in Preston?

Old December 31st 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Default DTT on a set-top aerial in Preston?

In article , Roderick Stewart
wrote:
In article , Marky P wrote:
As for a set top aerial, go for one that looks like a tv aerial &
not these fancy looking flat square things.

Marky P

And what pray does a tv aerial look like or do you mean a normal
straight element yagi type ?

Dave

Normal straight element yagi type. That is the most common type of
outdoor tv aerial anyway.

Some of them are log-periodics, which might be better for a set-top
aerial. Not very high gain but good directionality. These are the ones
where the elements get steadily smaller towards the front, and the two
parts of each element are connected to the upper and lower parts of the
central spine, the polarity alternating with each element. I've seen
some wire frame constructions, and some that are shaped cutouts from
flat sheet metal, each flat sheet providing alternate halves of the
elements, but electrically both types are much the same.

Once upon a time, Labgear made one called a 'TopLog'. Colleagues said it
worked well.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 31st 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Roderick Stewart
Once upon a time, Labgear made one called a 'TopLog'. Colleagues said it
worked well.

The Labgear or Antiference logs both work OK. One peculiarity with the old
Labgear one was that on the top three channels it lost it's proper
directional characteristics, and in fact on 68 it had a negative back/front
ratio! I had one on a rotator on my motorhome for years.

Old January 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

Philips DTR210 is apparently excellent in weak signal areas.
Available from Argos for 39.99. As for a set top aerial, go for one
that looks like a tv aerial & not these fancy looking flat square
things.

I was given a "One For All" set top loop design aerial with a built in 20db
amplifier (similar to
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...na_Aerial.html)

In basic tests it was totally outperformed by an Antiference Silver Sensor
with no amplifier!
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...er_Sensor.html

Old January 1st 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , Doctor
D wrote

Philips DTR210 is apparently excellent in weak signal areas.
Available from Argos for 39.99. As for a set top aerial, go for one
that looks like a tv aerial & not these fancy looking flat square
things.

I was given a "One For All" set top loop design aerial with a built in 20db
amplifier (similar to
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...40_Indoor_TV_A
ntenna_Aerial.html)

In basic tests it was totally outperformed by an Antiference Silver Sensor
with no amplifier!
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...er_Sensor.html

See also
http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org....indoor-aerials
/recommendations/best-indoor-aerials.htm

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old January 2nd 07, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

Thanks for the replies. I already have an old Daewoo SetPal box and a Tesco
DigiLogic both on roof / loft aerials working well. I'll try one or both of
those with the Telecam aerial from Argos.

I'll report back, but I'm not holding my breath - the room has a
north-facing window (Winter Hill is south). Otherwise, It's a drum of good
coax, a distribution amplifier and some inventive routing....

AdrianB