LCD TV picture quality

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default LCD TV picture quality

I've just bought a new 40" Samsung LCD TV. On setting it up, I
discovered the quality of the picture is pretty bad. Vertical lines
across the entire picture, blurry edges to figures on the TV and a kind
of pixellated effect that all adds up to a pretty poor quality picture.
I asked in the shop, and they said it was probably a bad quality scart
lead, so I bought a top-quality new one - but no difference.

When watching a DVD, it's fine - it's just the picture that's coming
from my standard Sky digital box. So I spoke to Sky about it and they
say I should upgrade to Sky+ or Sky HD as the signal from standard Sky
looks poor on large screens. Is this true? Or is this just them trying
to sell me something extra? Having just blown all my savings on the TV,
the thought of spending an extra 300 on an HD box is terrifying. Does
anyone have any advice? Is there anything I can do to improve picture
quality? And has anyone else experienced poor quality from Sky after
buying a large screen TV?