TV in the bedroom: LCD or not?

Old December 28th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

Default TV in the bedroom: LCD or not?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:44:12 GMT, ian wrote:

In message , ian writes
SWMBO has declared that we need a new TV in the bedroom. Nothing
flashy: 17"-ish flat screen, analog and built-in DTT, no cables, no
recording.

Seems a straightforward requirement, but what about the screen? In the
back of my mind I have a notion that LCDs are prone to image burning.
Is this true? Should I avoid LCDs?

Any recommendations for a suitable set? Anything to avoid?

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another question: I went to one of the sheds yesterday and saw all
shapes and sizes of LCD TVs. However, despite looking very carefully,
not one of them mentioned being "digital". How do I know if they have a
built-in digital decoder, or can I assume they all do nowadays?

Look for the DVB logo on the set, probaly in ver small letters
somewhere around the edge.

Marky P

Old December 28th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

ian wrote:
In message , ian writes
SWMBO has declared that we need a new TV in the bedroom. Nothing
flashy: 17"-ish flat screen, analog and built-in DTT, no cables, no
recording.

Seems a straightforward requirement, but what about the screen? In
the back of my mind I have a notion that LCDs are prone to image
burning. Is this true? Should I avoid LCDs?

Any recommendations for a suitable set? Anything to avoid?

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another question: I went to one of the sheds yesterday and saw all
shapes and sizes of LCD TVs. However, despite looking very carefully,
not one of them mentioned being "digital". How do I know if they have
a built-in digital decoder, or can I assume they all do nowadays?

It's best to assume none of them do, most don't. Look for the DVB logo.

Old December 29th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:44:12 GMT, ian wrote:

In message , ian writes
SWMBO has declared that we need a new TV in the bedroom. Nothing
flashy: 17"-ish flat screen, analog and built-in DTT, no cables, no
recording.

Seems a straightforward requirement, but what about the screen? In the
back of my mind I have a notion that LCDs are prone to image burning.
Is this true? Should I avoid LCDs?

Any recommendations for a suitable set? Anything to avoid?

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another question: I went to one of the sheds yesterday and saw all
shapes and sizes of LCD TVs. However, despite looking very carefully,
not one of them mentioned being "digital". How do I know if they have a
built-in digital decoder, or can I assume they all do nowadays?

It is best to assume that none of the TV's you see in any shed you
visit has a digital receiver
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old December 30th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

If it has a digital tuner ir should have the 'digital' tick-box either
on the unit or on its boxr (which in the sheds is usually on display.

In the smaller units I have only seen one with a digi-tuner and that
(I think) was Goodmans and external to the main case.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com