Early Colour Television

Old December 24th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default Early Colour Television

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

Who's Benny Hill ?

You're joking, of course.

Of course I am, everybody knows he was an ITN newscaster.

--
Mark
Old December 24th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

charles wrote in
:

I usually see Dave once a month at the "Network Meet".

Say "hallo" - he was a good guvnor.

mike

mike ?

mike ring - he was my boss at AP CAR (the dog kennel off the side of studio
B) in the 60's.

.....surely he couldn't ferget me... :-O

mike
Old December 26th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
kim

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , Prometheus
writes
In article , Dave Farrance
writes

As for shadowmasks, it always seemed to me that they were an
"impossible" invention for that time period, with about a million
perfect little holes aligned just so with the phosphor dots.

IIRC The dots were laid down by a 'photo' process using the holes in
the shadowmask.

Yep, it was the making of all those millions of regular holes in each of
the invar masks that amazed me - all the same size, shape and pitch and
not a single one missing. Knowing Mullard, they probably relied on one
skilled technician with a Black & Decker. ;-)

The holes weren't the problem. It was aligning the dots on the faceplate so
that each electron beam hit only its respective color. The first shadowmasks
had just 150,000 holes and the dot pattern was laid down by teams of women
using hand stencils. Each woman did so many dots then handed it to the next.
Resolution gradually improved up to around 500,000 pixels at the time of
public launch in 1953. Above that a photo process was necessary which
allowed shadowmasks to have 1.5m holes. As far as I know Mullard colour
tubes were straight copies of the RCA shadowmask design produced under
license. They were abandoned in favour of the parent company Philips 20AX
PIL tube around 1973.

(kim)

Old December 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:26:19 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

I spent a week in hospital in 1972. The children's ward I was in had a
radiogram...

Surely you took your toolkit with you that you'd had for your 8th birthday
and you'd have had it in bits?
Old December 31st 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

wrote:

I spent a week in hospital in 1972. The children's ward I was in had a
radiogram...

Surely you took your toolkit with you that you'd had for your 8th birthday
and you'd have had it in bits?

Ha ! The TV was in a bad state. It had a nice big phosphor burn in the middle
of the screen presumably as a result of a past H *and* V scan failure. One of
the nurses said it was because they didn't turn it off fast enough after it
'went wrong', she was right !

--
Mark
Old January 2nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Louis Barfe's IbMePdErRoIoAmL

"charles" wrote in message

Later -some shows like the Billy Cotton band show
and the Black and White Minstrals were transmitted in 405 line colour,

Don't think so. there were no colour studios big enough to mount such
programmes.

To the best of my knowledge, Billy Cotton did only 1 colour show - Show of
the Week: The Cotton Club on BBC2 on 25/10/1968. The following week, SOTW
was Masquerade, featuring the George Mitchell Singers without their minstrel
make-up. Masquerade survives, The Cotton Club doesn't.

Hope this helps,