Early Colour Television

Old December 22nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Default Early Colour Television

In article ,
mike wrote:
charles wrote in
:

I wonder how they recorded the output? Video Tape didn't appear until
1958

The Ampex 1000s didn't show up at Ally Pally till (about) '64. Can't be
too precise, but I _was_ working there then.

So I think 58 is a bit early

I believe Pawley: The first (Ampex) machine went into service at Lime
Grove on 1 October 1958. It was joined by a second machine in January
1959. .... During 1961 a central VT recording area was set up at TV
Centre. By June 1962, it was equipped with 6 machines, which with 2 at
Lime Grove, one at AP .....

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 22nd 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
M. J. Powell wrote:
In message , Stephen
Peterson writes
Can anyone remember the early colour TV tests that the BBC and ITV did?
The BBC used 405 line NTSC whilst ITV used 625 SECAM! tests started
after closedown in the afternoons, and usually had a film (Shell or GPO
as was! ) Later -some shows like the Billy Cotton band show and the
Black and White Minstrals were transmitted in 405 line colour, ITV used
Benny Hill as their test subject -

Looking this up, I found that ITV only started showing Benny Hill in 1968!
Before then he'd been on BBC tv.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

charles wrote in
:

The Ampex 1000s didn't show up at Ally Pally till (about) '64. Can't be
too precise, but I _was_ working there then.

So I think 58 is a bit early

I believe Pawley: The first (Ampex) machine went into service at Lime
Grove on 1 October 1958. It was joined by a second machine in January
1959. .... During 1961 a central VT recording area was set up at TV
Centre. By June 1962, it was equipped with 6 machines, which with 2 at
Lime Grove, one at AP .....

Well, at least _my_ memory was true-ish.

But they took _that_ long to migrate from LG to AP!! I knew we were out in
the sticks, but that's ridiculous.

(But we _did_ start BBC2!)

mike
Old December 22nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
mike wrote:
charles wrote in
:

The Ampex 1000s didn't show up at Ally Pally till (about) '64. Can't be
too precise, but I _was_ working there then.

So I think 58 is a bit early

I believe Pawley: The first (Ampex) machine went into service at Lime
Grove on 1 October 1958. It was joined by a second machine in January
1959. .... During 1961 a central VT recording area was set up at TV
Centre. By June 1962, it was equipped with 6 machines, which with 2 at
Lime Grove, one at AP .....

Well, at least _my_ memory was true-ish.

But they took _that_ long to migrate from LG to AP!! I knew we were out
in the sticks, but that's ridiculous.

(But we _did_ start BBC2!)

No, the first programme on BBC2 was Jackanory at 10.30 in the morning.
You're thinking of the power failure in West London in the evening.

mike

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 22nd 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mike wrote:
I believe Pawley: The first (Ampex) machine went into service at Lime
Grove on 1 October 1958. It was joined by a second machine in January
1959. .... During 1961 a central VT recording area was set up at TV
Centre. By June 1962, it was equipped with 6 machines, which with 2
at Lime Grove, one at AP .....

Well, at least _my_ memory was true-ish.

But they took _that_ long to migrate from LG to AP!! I knew we were out
in the sticks, but that's ridiculous.

Possibly because being news had extensive film facilities?

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob

No, the first programme on BBC2 was Jackanory at 10.30 in the morning.

Try Play School!

--
Robert

Old December 23rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

This correspondence has cheered me up enormously. I reckon I'm one of the
youngest in this group.

Old December 23rd 06, 03:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

Beg pardon But my old boss worked on the early shows mentioned - they
came
from the Television Theatre! He told me the cameras were imported from

the
states,(RCA?) They even did the 53 Coronation on one colour camera as a
test - he should know - he operated it!

I read somewhere on the net that there were some CBS colour TV cameras at
the 1953 Coronation, which had been brought over specially from America to
demonstrate the capabilities of the CBS colour system, although the pictures
were not broadcast. This would have been the CBS field sequential colour
system, with 405 lines but 144 fields per second, and a rotating colour
filter wheel in each camera and TV monitor.

Old December 23rd 06, 06:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kennedy McEwen

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
Stephen Peterson wrote:

Beg pardon But my old boss worked on the early shows mentioned - they
came from the Television Theatre! He told me the cameras were imported
from the states,(RCA?)

Certainly the early Studio H tests used american cameras, there weren't any
others in production.

They even did the 53 Coronation on one colour camera as a test - he
should know - he operated it!

This is unlikely to have been on NTSC since the system wasn't released
until 3 months before the Coronation and it wasn't until '54 that a 405
version existed.

The 1953 Coronation route were filmed in a prototype field sequential
colour system by The Marconi Company. This was a 405-line system and
broadcast by the BBC to a limited number of suitable receivers in the
Home Counties. The cameras were designed and built in Chelmsford -
Writtle Road, I believe - using RCA tubes, although the source of my
information (one of the system designers) died several years ago.

I wonder how they recorded the output? Video Tape didn't appear until 1958

Marconi also had a system similar to "telecine in reverse", which passed
film in front of a CRT with only horizontal line drive and this was used
to "record" TV images. I cannot confirm if that was used on the
Coronation, however I have seen still colour photos of the image on
screen.
--
Kennedy
Old December 23rd 06, 08:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Bill Wright wrote:
This correspondence has cheered me up enormously. I reckon I'm one of the
youngest in this group.

Who's Benny Hill ?

--
Mark