Television is dead!

Old December 21st 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob

Default Television is dead!

I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.

This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?

Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!

--
Rob.

Old December 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.
This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?
Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!
Rob.

TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

Television mag has simply gone the same way as Gas lamp lighters monthly

The frightening thing is where will it end, or will there be an end?

Steve Terry

Old December 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

Steve Terry wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different
sources. Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.
This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was
it, 1929?
Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!
Rob.

TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

Television mag has simply gone the same way as Gas lamp lighters
monthly

And how many on this group mourn its sad passing.. Bill!

The frightening thing is where will it end, or will there be an end?

Life is a circle without beginning and nobody knows ..Doh!

Steve Terry

Old December 21st 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lakeuk

That's terrible Ivan

Dave

Old December 21st 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Ivan" wrote in message
. uk...
Steve Terry wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

snip
Life is a circle without beginning and nobody knows ..Doh!

Very profound

Steve Terry

Old December 21st 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
kim

"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.

This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?

I think you mean "started as a suplement to Practical Wireless"?

I started reading it in the late 1960's. My school physics class had a few
copies from the 1950's lying around which I "borrowed". They were in the
smaller A5 format. I think the teacher knew what I was doing but she didn't
complain as I was the only person interested.

(kim)

Old December 21st 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

kim wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different
sources. Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.

This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was
it, 1929?

I think you mean "started as a suplement to Practical Wireless"?

I started reading it in the late 1960's. My school physics class had
a few copies from the 1950's lying around which I "borrowed". They
were in the smaller A5 format. I think the teacher knew what I was
doing but she didn't complain as I was the only person interested.

Yes, IIRC they were a nice snug fit for 'Health and Efficiency' magazine in
the centre pages.

(kim)

Old December 21st 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
kim

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.
This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?
Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!
Rob.

TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

If that? The way modern tubes are overdriven I'd be surprised if they lasted
more than a year or two. When TV sets were rented, the companies which owned
them had a vested interest in keeping them going for as long as possble. I
remember articles about CRT rejuvenation and converting 405-line sets to
625-line operation. "Recycling" you could call it.

(kim)

Old December 21st 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Steve Terry wrote:

TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

Some years ago, I had a tv for sale which I advertised in the local paper.
On Sunday someone rang up wanting to buy it. They came round and I asked
why they wanted wanted to by a tv at Sunday lunchtime. "Ours failed last
night, we'll buy a new one tomorrow, but we need something to keep us going
tonight."

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 21st 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
kim wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.

This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?

I think you mean "started as a suplement to Practical Wireless"?

I started reading it in the late 1960's. My school physics class had a few
copies from the 1950's lying around which I "borrowed". They were in the
smaller A5 format.

A5 didn't exist in the 50s. The size was nearer quarto.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11