Television is dead!

Old December 21st 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Default Television is dead!

kim wrote:
TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

If that? The way modern tubes are overdriven I'd be surprised if they
lasted more than a year or two.

Tubes? There's a novelty...

When did the modern era start, in your opinion? I'm still watching a
15-year-old Sony CRT. No sign of it failing any time soon.

When TV sets were rented, the companies which owned them had a vested
interest in keeping them going for as long as possble.

And (in the early days at least) they were hopelessly prone to failure.
Being able to fix something when it breaks is quite different from it being
reliable. See also: traction engines.

Old December 21st 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Digby

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:38:02 GMT, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.
This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?
Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!
Rob.

TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

Television mag has simply gone the same way as Gas lamp lighters monthly

The frightening thing is where will it end, or will there be an end?

Steve Terry

"Have I got News for You" seems to have missed out on "Gas lamp
lighters monthly"
Old December 21st 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

Pyriform wrote:

And (in the early days at least) they were hopelessly prone to failure.
Being able to fix something when it breaks is quite different from it being
reliable.

Yep, I certainly remember frequent visits from the VisionHire bloke when
my parents first rented a colour set, he did always fix it though, TV
sets I've owned throughout the past 20 years haven't required any
maintenance.
Old December 22nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Rob" wrote in message
I am sad to report that Television Mag has closed! Unbelievable but
apparently true as I have now heard it from several different sources.
Subscribers will receive a proportional refund.

This mag started as a suplement to Practical Television in what was it,
1929?

Truly, as someone who has appeared on the front cover, a sad day!

Join the club. My ragged jumper was briefly visible in every WHS in the
land!

What were you doing on the cover? I was sitting on a roof.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Ivan" wrote in message
. uk...
Television mag has simply gone the same way as Gas lamp lighters
monthly

That's very good. How you put it, I mean.

And how many on this group mourn its sad passing.. Bill!

To be honest I mourned it when JR got the sack and it turned into a
collection of manufacturers' press releases masquerading as features. It's
very sad, but, as you say above, inevitable in view of the demise of the
repair trade. The mag failed to reposition itself in the market place. JR
made attempts to diversify the thing, but really it has been doomed for at
least five years.

There is a need for a publication aimed jointly at the aerial and dish
installation trade and the home cinema installation trade.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Andy Burns wrote:

Yep, I certainly remember frequent visits from the VisionHire bloke when
my parents first rented a colour set, he did always fix it though,

Same in our house. The bloke from DER would always let me watch what he
was doing, and give me the duff components from the repair. The nanny
state H&S rules would probably never allow that today !

Old December 22nd 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:

"Ivan" wrote in message
. uk...
Television mag has simply gone the same way as Gas lamp lighters
monthly

That's very good. How you put it, I mean.

And how many on this group mourn its sad passing.. Bill!

To be honest I mourned it when JR got the sack and it turned into a
collection of manufacturers' press releases masquerading as features.
It's very sad, but, as you say above, inevitable in view of the demise
of the repair trade. The mag failed to reposition itself in the market
place. JR made attempts to diversify the thing, but really it has been
doomed for at least five years.

Something similar seems to have happened to Electronics World (Wireless
World) over recent years. AIUI They ceased paying for contributions a few
years ago, with results similar to the above. But even before that the
quality of the contents became quite 'variable'. As someone with a
long-term interest in audio amplifier design I found some of the more
recent articles quite depressingly poor compared to what EW/WW would have
published in previous decades.

....Oh, and a Happy Christmas to all. :-)

Slainte,

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old December 22nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andereida

Pyriform wrote:
kim wrote:
TV repairing is dead, if a TV goes wrong, people now go out
and buy a new one which should last maybe 5 years till the next one

If that? The way modern tubes are overdriven I'd be surprised if they
lasted more than a year or two.

Tubes? There's a novelty...

When did the modern era start, in your opinion? I'm still watching a
15-year-old Sony CRT. No sign of it failing any time soon.

When TV sets were rented, the companies which owned them had a vested
interest in keeping them going for as long as possble.

And (in the early days at least) they were hopelessly prone to failure.
Being able to fix something when it breaks is quite different from it being
reliable. See also: traction engines.

We bought a new Sony in 1985 which was passed on to our son when he set
up house in 1999. It is still in daily use. The only problem occurred in
1995. The Sony repairman said it was finished - too old to repair. Took
it to the local back-street repair shop who simply made good the dry
joints on the PSU and charged 35.

Andereida
Old December 22nd 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob

What were you doing on the cover? I was sitting on a roof.

I had my nose inside a TV, my right ear and sideburn being particularly
prominent.

They (E.T.) used to take the photo every month in our workshop in
Seddlescombe.

If you did but know every member of the Test Case team has been on the
cover - T.S. TV Ted, Sage etc.
Always after hours as the boss was, well let's just say we used to have to
work until exactly 5.30 on Christmas Eve......!

But we LOVED the job!

--
Rob.

Old December 22nd 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

I remember articles about CRT rejuvenation and converting 405-line sets
625-line operation. "Recycling" you could call it.

(kim)

I converted a Bush TV53 for BBC2 in the late 60's

20 years later I put a Teletext decoder in a 17 inch Thorn 800 chassis.
Imagine that, IR remote control of Teletext, but you still had to change
channel with the original 4 button mechanical tuner.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%