A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

12v 4a transformer.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 19th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scabbydug
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 12v 4a transformer.

O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.


Ads
  #2  
Old December 19th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 219
Default 12v 4a transformer.


"Scabbydug" wrote in message
...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip

today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains

adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about

powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the

off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.




Small as plug-top switched modes are these days I doubt you will find
one of that rating.

Look in the surplus industry for something like a Weir SMPS.

Maybe they got rid of it because of the size (and heat?) of the PSU!


--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com


  #3  
Old December 19th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,408
Default 12v 4a transformer.


"harrogate3" wrote in message
...

"Scabbydug" wrote in message
...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip

today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains

adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about

powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the

off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.


Before you spend any money try it on a car battery. But use a fuse, and
double check polarity.

Bill


  #4  
Old December 19th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scabbydug
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 12v 4a transformer.


"JohnDW" wrote in message
. ..
Scabbydug, in article [email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com, says...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.


Thanks John, that looks spot on, however before spending that amount I'll
maybe try Bills car battery idea, don't quite understand the fuse bit
though, can you elaborate Bill?
Thanks.


  #5  
Old December 19th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chas Gill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 427
Default 12v 4a transformer.


"Scabbydug" wrote in message
...

"JohnDW" wrote in message
. ..
Scabbydug, in article [email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com, says...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about
powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.


Thanks John, that looks spot on, however before spending that amount I'll
maybe try Bills car battery idea, don't quite understand the fuse bit
though, can you elaborate Bill?
Thanks.

If something is seriously amiss in the TV, fuse = "pop". No fuse = BANG!
Car batteries can deliver 300-400 Amps into a short circuit and I wouldn't
want to be around when they do.

Good luck

Chas


  #6  
Old December 19th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scabbydug
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 12v 4a transformer.


"Chas Gill" wrote in message
...

"Scabbydug" wrote in message
...

"JohnDW" wrote in message
. ..
Scabbydug, in article [email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com, says...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip
today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about
powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.


Thanks John, that looks spot on, however before spending that amount I'll
maybe try Bills car battery idea, don't quite understand the fuse bit
though, can you elaborate Bill?
Thanks.

If something is seriously amiss in the TV, fuse = "pop". No fuse = BANG!
Car batteries can deliver 300-400 Amps into a short circuit and I wouldn't
want to be around when they do.

Good luck


Hmm.. ok but what size fuse, & I assume on live terminal?
wise advice from all as I would have expected. Thanks.


  #7  
Old December 19th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 615
Default 12v 4a transformer.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:55:03 -0000, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

|
|"harrogate3" wrote in message
...
|
| "Scabbydug" wrote in message
| ...
| O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip
| today
| (thats ma boy).
| It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
| Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains
| adaptor,
| inconsiderate sod.
| The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about
| powers
| up then cuts out.
| Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the
| off
| chance that the tv might be OK.
| Ta.
|
|Before you spend any money try it on a car battery. But use a fuse, and
|double check polarity.

Agreed I have had several 12V TVs and a correct fuse is essential, one blew
up because of a too highly rated fuse.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Google Groups is IME the *worst*
method of accessing usenet. GG subscribers would be well advised get a
newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. These
will allow them: to see only *new* posts, a killfile, and other goodies.
  #8  
Old December 19th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,223
Default 12v 4a transformer.

Scabbydug wrote:
Hmm.. ok but what size fuse, & I assume on live terminal?
wise advice from all as I would have expected. Thanks.


Doesn't make any difference whether you connect it to positive or negative.
Positive just seems right, so that's where I'd put it! You need a capacity
high enough to not blow if the thing is working, and low enough to avoid
major meltdown if it isn't. Personally, I'd just power it from the cigarette
lighter socket with a suitable cable. That's fused at 15A, IIRC.


  #9  
Old December 19th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,055
Default 12v 4a transformer.

Scabbydug wrote:
"Chas Gill" wrote in message
...

"Scabbydug" wrote in message
...

"JohnDW" wrote in message
. ..
Scabbydug, in article [email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com, says...
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a
skip today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains
adaptor, inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just
about powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on
the off chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.

Thanks John, that looks spot on, however before spending that
amount I'll maybe try Bills car battery idea, don't quite
understand the fuse bit though, can you elaborate Bill?
Thanks.

If something is seriously amiss in the TV, fuse = "pop". No fuse =
BANG! Car batteries can deliver 300-400 Amps into a short circuit
and I wouldn't want to be around when they do.

Good luck


Hmm.. ok but what size fuse, & I assume on live terminal?
wise advice from all as I would have expected. Thanks.


And as has already been pointed out, do try to make 'absolutely certain'
that the polarity is correct. I've now seen a couple of flat screen TV's
written-off due to caravanners connecting the12V supply the wrong way round.



  #10  
Old December 19th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Usenet
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 249
Default 12v 4a transformer.

Scabbydug wrote:
O/T I know, but Son retrieved a nice wee Bush LCD14DVD from a skip today
(thats ma boy).
It's got a small scratch on the screen otherwise appears OK.
Unfortunately the person who dumped it didn't include the mains adaptor,
inconsiderate sod.
The plate on the back says 12v 4A, using a 12V 1000ma it just about powers
up then cuts out.
Anyone know a supplier of suitable transformers/adaptors just on the off
chance that the tv might be OK.
Ta.




http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9804575.htm

I know it's a battery charger, but it comes with a 12v 5A switch mode
power supply. So you get the Power Supply you wanted but also a battery
charger and 4 rechargeable batteries for under 40 quid and it is easy to
get.

Regards
Glenn...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.