Humax or Toppy

Old December 19th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Margaret Willmer

Default Humax or Toppy

Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ
or site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the
extra 100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Thanks

Margaret
Old December 19th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:07:41 +0000, Margaret Willmer
wrote:

Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ
or site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the
extra 100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Have owned a Hummy for two unhappy weeks and had Toppy for 8 months.
The Toppy is far better, especially with the MyStuff TAP installed
(www.toppy.org.uk for details).
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 19th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

wrote:

Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ
or site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the
extra 100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Have owned a Hummy for two unhappy weeks and had Toppy for 8 months.
The Toppy is far better, especially with the MyStuff TAP installed
(www.toppy.org.uk for details).

Well there's a surprise - Andrew is a Toppy evangelist and whilst the
product is undoubtedly a good one, the experience "out of the box" can leave
something to be desired. IMHO if you're not happy downloading and modifying
the machine you'd be better to stick with the Humax which has the better
standard feature set. However as ChrisM says there have been a great many
posts that have discussed this so use Google to see what others have to say.

--
Paul Schofield

Old December 19th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Margaret Willmer wrote:
Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ
or site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the
extra 100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Thanks

Margaret

I've got the Humax and I've been pleased with it. Had it for a year
with no problems at all. Humax have also released a number of software
updates over the year, often with new features - in fact, they did this
just the other day ready for Christmas. (Last update I think was just
before the World Cup, adding features which were useful for it).

Brilliant box - highly recommend it.

Old December 19th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:06:11 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

Well there's a surprise - Andrew is a Toppy evangelist and whilst the
product is undoubtedly a good one, the experience "out of the box" can leave
something to be desired.

My experience "out of the box" with the Hummy was full of bugs, which
really annoyed me as most of them had persisted from the 8000T that I
used to own previously.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 19th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Moppett

David Hearn wrote:
Margaret Willmer wrote:
Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ
or site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the
extra 100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Thanks

Margaret

I've got the Humax and I've been pleased with it. Had it for a year
with no problems at all. Humax have also released a number of software
updates over the year, often with new features - in fact, they did this
just the other day ready for Christmas. (Last update I think was just
before the World Cup, adding features which were useful for it).

Brilliant box - highly recommend it.

I read this NG for about 3 months and then went and bought the Toppy.
One year on I have no regrets and we are buying one for the mother in
law for Christmas, as she gets so confused by all her different boxes
and remotes.
I would recommend Toppy for one feature alone - the TAPS - we were used
to VCRs with the auto correction if the programme time changed, and kept
missing odd monutes of programmes. Installed a TAP which extends the
recording at each end (set to 3 minutes) and all is now well.

John
Old December 19th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:26:27 +0000, John Moppett
wrote:

I would recommend Toppy for one feature alone - the TAPS - we were used
to VCRs with the auto correction if the programme time changed, and kept
missing odd monutes of programmes. Installed a TAP which extends the
recording at each end (set to 3 minutes) and all is now well.

Are you not using MyStuff (my personal choice) or Jags? Both of these
have definable pre and post padding to go along with series links and
other improvements.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 19th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"John Moppett" wrote in message
David Hearn wrote:
Margaret Willmer wrote:
[...]

And the fact that it's a standard feature on the Humax exemplifies my point
from the earlier post.
--
Paul Schofield

..

Old December 19th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dylan30

"Margaret Willmer" wrote in message
Having had a wander in John Lewis this morning and seen both PVRs I am
wondering which to buy. Does anyone know if there is a comparison FAQ or
site so I can make a reasonable judgment? I don't mind paying the extra
100 for the Toppy if it is going to be much better.

Thanks

Margaret

never used a Humax But the toppy i have is great. When the BBC (or whoever )
messed about with MHEG and the thing started crashing. Within 24hr someone
had written a fix (tap). If you have to sit around waiting for the
manufacturer to broadcast an update over the air your stuffed. There is load
of helpful people over at http://www.toppy.org.uk/ . Even the other half
agrees its not a gadget but something that works. My 3 yearold son can leave
the room with out saying " pause the telly daddy" and 75% of recordings are
his !

Its a good buy.

Regards adam