Report on DTT HD trial

Old December 15th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Report on DTT HD trial

Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already been
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

Old December 15th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already
been posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

It's interesting that they try very hard to make the case for HD on Freeview
(I have no problem with that, because I'm very much in favour of it) and yet
they're happy to transmit DAB at ****e quality and they can't even be arsed
to improve the quality of their radio stations on satellite even though
they've got 231 Mbps of capacity available, of which their radio stations
consume just 0.7% and would require only a tiny amount of additional
capacity to provide them at very nearly CD-quality.

Oh, and to any DAB lovers out the

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...tional-DAB.php

Enjoy!

Old December 15th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already been
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

thank you for that. Interesting reading

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 15th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , charles
wrote
In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already been
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

thank you for that. Interesting reading

If the picture on the title page of the report is representative of the
picture quality obtainable from HD then they should give up now

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
No-One

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already been
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

I think they got the key on the screen size chart a bit wrong

Old December 16th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Matt Overton

Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already
been posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

Shesh we're only at the testing stage and they've already reduced 1080i to
1440x1080 if you look at the specs in the back.....

Old December 16th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Taylor

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:29:46 GMT, "Matt Overton"
wrote:

Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already
been posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

Shesh we're only at the testing stage and they've already reduced 1080i to
1440x1080 if you look at the specs in the back.....

I rather think that would be due to the Sony tape machines they are
using only record 1440x1080.
Old December 16th 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
norbert

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...tional-DAB.php

says
... they didn't even mention the AAC+ audio codec once, which is the only
hope we have of improving the audio quality ...

Isn't that a forlorn hope?

AAC+ will permit either:
(a) the same number of stations at X% quality improvement, or
(b) X% more stations at the same quality.

Based purely on experience to date with both DTT and DAB, which option do
you think is most likely to occur?

Old December 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Matt Overton

Shesh we're only at the testing stage and they've already reduced 1080i to
1440x1080 if you look at the specs in the back.....

I rather think that would be due to the Sony tape machines they are
using only record 1440x1080.

Oh god no! Don't tell me they've been doing in HDV format! Sheesh........

Old December 16th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ernst S Blofeld

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Can't see this mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has already been
posted: http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/pdf/dtt_hdtrial.pdf

Is the blocky nature of the front cover indicative of the digital
artefacts that we can expect of the HDD service? Having just watched the
Planet Earth series on standard DTT, the number and extent of the
compression artefacts was dreadful. If only those damned animals didn't
move around so much and live in such colourful environments.

ESB