Freeview box with NTSC TV

Old December 14th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doughboy

Default Freeview box with NTSC TV

Can anyone tell me if a iPlayer+ freeview box will work on an NTSC TV
if they're connected by a component lead. The iPlayer does support
component through it's SCART socket.

Doughboy
Old December 14th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

Doughboy wrote:
Can anyone tell me if a iPlayer+ freeview box will work on an NTSC TV
if they're connected by a component lead. The iPlayer does support
component through it's SCART socket.

Doughboy

I don't believe any devices support component through a SCART socket, are
you sure it's not composite?

Old December 14th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jukka Aho

Doughboy wrote:

Can anyone tell me if a iPlayer+ freeview box will work on an
NTSC TV if they're connected by a component lead. The iPlayer
does support component through it's SCART socket.

I would guess not, unless iPlayer+ specifically allows selecting an
"NTSC" output mode. (It would need to be able to generate NTSC-alike
525-line 60 Hz signal to the component outputs. If it only outputs
PAL-alike 625-line 50 Hz component signal, your NTSC tv set probably
will not sync to it.)

Apparently, there _are_ some DVB-T set-top boxes that can convert
digital 576i/25 ("PAL") material to analog NTSC (and NTSC-like) 525-line
60 Hz signals on the fly - similar to the built-in on-the-fly standards
conversion found in some DVD players - but it's pretty rare. At least
the Topfield TF5100 (which is not sold in the UK) supports this. Perhaps
the UK version (TF5800) does, too.

In any case, cheap consumer-level standards conversion - the kind of
which you could expect to find on set-top boxes and DVD players -
usually suffers from temporal aliasing, which is a fancy way of saying
that the motion quality of the converted video is likely to be slightly
jerky.

--
znark

Old December 14th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jukka Aho

Adrian A wrote:

I don't believe any devices support component through a SCART socket,
are you sure it's not composite?

I've seen many DVD players that allow component (YPbPr) out through the
SCART socket. There are also digital set-top boxes like this, although I
don't have any first-hand experience on these. The YPbPr mode must be
specifically switched on in the menus. It is an alternative to the (more
standard) SCART RGB output, since both use the same pins on the SCART
connector.

I've also seen tv sets that allow component input throught the SCART
socket.

Moreover, there are passive SCART-to-YPbPr adapters which are intended
for connecting SCART-equipped YPbPr-capable devices to devices which
only have phono connectors for the Y, Pb, and Pr signals:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html

--
znark

Old December 14th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doughboy

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:00:23 -0000, "Adrian A"
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:
Can anyone tell me if a iPlayer+ freeview box will work on an NTSC TV
if they're connected by a component lead. The iPlayer does support
component through it's SCART socket.

Doughboy

I don't believe any devices support component through a SCART socket, are
you sure it's not composite?

It's definitely component. Not very common though. The iPlayer's the
only Freeview box that I've found that has it.

Doughboy
Old December 14th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doughboy

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:04:08 +0200, "Jukka Aho"
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice.

At the moment, I'm using the tuner on my VCR through a Com World multi
standard video converter, and the output looks pretty shoddy, so I
wouldn't want to buy anything that would need to go through it. Maybe
a Freeview card/adapter for my PC would be a better idea, as it's
connected to the TV via DVI.

Doughboy