Freeview HD channels

Old December 13th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Beck

Default Freeview HD channels

My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We just got
a blank screen.

Old December 13th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD

trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We

just got
a blank screen.

Only availabe to select viewers in the London area.

Old December 13th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Beck wrote:
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD
trial , ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview
yet? We just got a blank screen.

They are only being broadcast in certain areas , but more importantly you
would need a receiver capable of decoding and outputting the HD signals.
Showing the channel number is about all yours will cope with
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old December 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Beck

"harrogate3" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD

trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We

just got
a blank screen.

Only availabe to select viewers in the London area.

Thanks. Upon further investigation it seems it is only a short trial at the
moment. Still, maybe 2007 we will see it released in full.

Old December 13th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Beck

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD
trial , ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview
yet? We just got a blank screen.

They are only being broadcast in certain areas , but more importantly you
would need a receiver capable of decoding and outputting the HD signals.
Showing the channel number is about all yours will cope with

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

Old December 13th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:09:06 -0000, "Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

For the trial, but not to buy.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 13th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Beck

"Andrew" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:09:06 -0000, "Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

For the trial, but not to buy.
--

Thanks for the information

Old December 13th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote
Beck wrote:
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD
trial , ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview
yet? We just got a blank screen.

They are only being broadcast in certain areas , but more importantly you
would need a receiver capable of decoding and outputting the HD signals.
Showing the channel number is about all yours will cope with

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

The "Evesham iplayer" is reputed to be able to handle BBC HD. Even if
that's true, though, there's no guarantee that the BBC wouldn't make a
change to the transmission in the course of their testing that the trial
boxes could handle but the Evesham iplayer couldn't.

The earliest possible time for official DTT HD transmissions is after
the analogue transmitters switch off in 2012. It's also quite likely
that such transmissions will not be compatible with the trial receivers
because they'll have had another 6 years to improve the technology.

--
Dave Farrance

Old December 13th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"harrogate3" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD

trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We

just got
a blank screen.

Only availabe to select viewers in the London area.

Is this something to do with them testing HD DTT - I seem to remember
reading something about this?

Can a bog standard Freeview box handle HD? I mean yeah, the TV will
obviously have to be 'HD Ready'...but are normal Freeview boxes able to
provide the stream? Interesting. :/