Freeview HD channels

Old December 13th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

Default Freeview HD channels

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD
trial , ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview
yet? We just got a blank screen.

They are only being broadcast in certain areas , but more importantly you
would need a receiver capable of decoding and outputting the HD signals.
Showing the channel number is about all yours will cope with
--

Ahh, that answered my question. I thought I was going mad for a moment, and
that some lucky gits were getting HD Freeview via bog standard boxes....LOL.

Old December 13th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

Beck wrote:

Thanks. Upon further investigation it seems it is only a short trial at
the moment.

And no HD Ready TV or Freeview box currently on sale can decode HD-DTT,
the trial requires a special box, the HDTV will just have an input
capable of displaying HD pictures from an external source (currently
HD-DVD or HD satellite decoder)
Old December 14th 06, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

....snipsy...

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

Humax have a(n?) UK DTT HD PVR in their current catalogue and on their stand
at trade shows, not sure if it is for sale (even at acronym city) or just
available for the BBC trial.

--
Paul Schofield

Old December 14th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

...snipsy...

Is there such a thing as a Freeview HD box yet?

Humax have a(n?) UK DTT HD PVR in their current catalogue and on their
stand
at trade shows, not sure if it is for sale (even at acronym city) or just
available for the BBC trial.

I didn't think the Humax box being used for the trials was a PVR - it's a
version of their HD satellite receiver fitted with a DTT tuner. I'm
watching BBC HD off satellite using a Humax and am hoping they release a PVR
version soon!

Old December 14th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike GW8IJT

"harrogate3" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD

trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We

just got
a blank screen.

Only availabe to select viewers in the London area.

Thanks. Upon further investigation it seems it is only a short trial at
the moment. Still, maybe 2007 we will see it released in full.

Apparently there isn't enough bandwidth for a universal HD Freeview service.
Regards Mike.

Old December 14th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike GW8IJT

"Slitheen" wrote in message

"harrogate3" wrote in message

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
My Grandad bought an HDTV today (399 bush model from Argos).

Looking through his list of freeview channels we see there is BBC HD

trial ,
ITV HD, C4 HD and another. Are these working on freeview yet? We

just got
a blank screen.

Only availabe to select viewers in the London area.

Is this something to do with them testing HD DTT - I seem to remember
reading something about this?

Can a bog standard Freeview box handle HD? I mean yeah, the TV will
obviously have to be 'HD Ready'...but are normal Freeview boxes able to
provide the stream? Interesting. :/

Nope, normal Freeview boxes can't handle HD.
Regards Mike.

Old December 14th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob

Andy Burns wrote:
no HD Ready TV or Freeview box currently on sale can decode HD-DTT

OFCOM have not yet decided if HD-DTT will even go-ahead,
let alone announced the necessary technical parameters
which would be required for such a signal.
Until then, no manufacturer can begin to develop such a box.

It's quite possible HD-DTT may never happen, especially
if they consider it more lucrative to sell off UHF spectrum
following analogue switch-off in 2012.