trouble with ariael

Old December 12th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
malcolm

Default trouble with ariael

My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.
of this I have two connections down stairs which are perfect (i think)
two upper bedroom conections are the same ok.

I run the coaxial back through the loft and out to the kitchen and
conservatory this conection is worse than a inside arial on the
television.

first question is why is it worse than a inside arial on top of the set.

and secondly does it need a booster and if so where do I fit or install the
booster upstairs in loft or in the kitchen

help required

and or all suggestions welcome

malcolm (Batley Area)

Old December 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"malcolm" wrote in message
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.
of this I have two connections down stairs which are perfect (i think)
two upper bedroom conections are the same ok.

I run the coaxial back through the loft and out to the kitchen and
conservatory this conection is worse than a inside arial on the
television.

first question is why is it worse than a inside arial on top of the set.

and secondly does it need a booster and if so where do I fit or install
the
booster upstairs in loft or in the kitchen

help required

and or all suggestions welcome

malcolm (Batley Area)

How are the five downlead cables connected? Is there an amplifier (booster;
little box that has to be plugged into the mains) anywhere?

Old December 12th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , malcolm
writes
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.

Not the best place for a motorbike; neither would a Shakespearean
character be best pleased.
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old December 12th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:33:24 -0000, "malcolm"
wrote:

My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.
of this I have two connections down stairs which are perfect (i think)
two upper bedroom conections are the same ok.

I run the coaxial back through the loft and out to the kitchen and
conservatory this conection is worse than a inside arial on the
television.

first question is why is it worse than a inside arial on top of the set.

and secondly does it need a booster and if so where do I fit or install the
booster upstairs in loft or in the kitchen

help required

and or all suggestions welcome

I suggest you put the detergent in the washing machine and the AERIAL
on the roof!

malcolm (Batley Area)

Old December 12th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Slitheen

"malcolm" wrote in message
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.
of this I have two connections down stairs which are perfect (i think)
two upper bedroom conections are the same ok.

I run the coaxial back through the loft and out to the kitchen and
conservatory this conection is worse than a inside arial on the
television.

first question is why is it worse than a inside arial on top of the set.

and secondly does it need a booster and if so where do I fit or install
the
booster upstairs in loft or in the kitchen

help required

and or all suggestions welcome

malcolm (Batley Area)

Don't necessarily want to contradict the knowledgeable types who frequent
these boards, about never using setside boosters etc, but in my *own*
experience they've never been anything but beneficial in situations like
yours. Often a loft or masthead job is a needless expense and/or risk [if
you plan on climbing up there yourself.] Argos do a 16.8DB booster (3DB
noise), their cheapest at 7.99, and it works *perfectly* for me in a
similar situation to yours. Like the difference between grainy, ****e
analogue and virtually zero Freeview.....to crisp, decent analogue picture
and the *full* Freeview service with no interference.

I reckon this depends on your original signal condition/strength
though.....as I can only assume the often touted line about boosters only
serving to increase noise *must* be true in certain situations...otherwise
people wouldn't keep on saying this. Like I say though, in my experience,
setside boosters do what they say on the box....and my own experience is all
I have to give.

Good luck.

Old December 12th 06, 11:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

malcolm wrote:
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.
of this I have two connections down stairs which are perfect (i
think) two upper bedroom conections are the same ok.

I run the coaxial back through the loft and out to the kitchen and
conservatory this conection is worse than a inside arial on the
television.

first question is why is it worse than a inside arial on top of the
set.
and secondly does it need a booster and if so where do I fit or
install the booster upstairs in loft or in the kitchen

help required

and or all suggestions welcome

I don't normally comment on spelling mistakes (unless they are particularly
amusing), but I'm very impressed that you tried three different ways of
spelling 'aerial', and still failed to hit the right one!

Other than that, we all defer to Bill W in the matter of aerial
installations, and he's already asked the pertinent question.

Old December 13th 06, 12:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

Default Trouble with AERIAL

The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Old December 13th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Slitheen" wrote in message
I reckon this depends on your original signal condition/strength
though.....as I can only assume the often touted line about boosters only
serving to increase noise *must* be true in certain situations...otherwise
people wouldn't keep on saying this. Like I say though, in my experience,
setside boosters do what they say on the box....and my own experience is
all I have to give.

And you haven't much of it really have you?

Old December 13th 06, 05:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
malcolms

thanks for the spelling lessons folks.
loved the washing m/c quote.

To Bill

I have no booster or box connected yet they just come off the aerial on to
two splitters .

the said aerial is easily accessable and as been up about twenty years with
no problems . I ts just the rear of the house IE the conservatory and
Kitchen .

Malcolm

Old December 13th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , malcolm
writes
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.

Not the best place for a motorbike; neither would a Shakespearean
character be best pleased.

The one half way up the front of BBC Broadcasting House doesn't seem to
mind.

--
Max Demian