trouble with ariael

Old December 13th 06, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Trouble with AERIAL

"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

--
Max Demian

Old December 13th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why such a
device would need an aerial!

Peter Crosland

Old December 13th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Peter Crosland wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote:
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why
such a device would need an aerial!

I believe they are popular in the outer fringes of the Teletubby community.

Old December 13th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default trouble with ariael

"malcolms" wrote in message
thanks for the spelling lessons folks.
loved the washing m/c quote.

To Bill

I have no booster or box connected yet they just come off the aerial on to
two splitters .

If you have two cables connected to the one aerial (by what means I
wonder -- a splitter I hope) then each of these feeds another splitter, and
if some of the cable is old, then it's likely that you will get widely
differing results at the ends of the cables. In reality the signal level
might not vary that much, but it will be generally low so relatively small
differences will show up. I would be willing to bet that the signal levels
at every outlet that you think is OK are hovering around the 'not quite
adequate' level. If you want to do the minimum swap round the dodgy cable
with a better one at the splitter, observe the results, and deduce. Ideally
you should replace all the cables and, unless you live in an area of
exceptionally strong signals, fit an amplifier.

Old December 13th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why such a
device would need an aerial!

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html

Then "merkin" was coined afresh to mean "an American", because it
sounds a bit like the half-swallowed pronunciation of "American" by
some Americans, particularly President Lyndon Johnson; and the fact
that it had a "naughty" meaning didn't hurt.

Old December 13th 06, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

"Slitheen" wrote:

Don't necessarily want to contradict the knowledgeable types who frequent
these boards, about never using setside boosters etc, but in my *own*
experience they've never been anything but beneficial in situations like
yours. ...

If a set-back booster *does* improve things significantly for you, then
there's a fault with your TV's receiver. It's the signal-to-noise ratio
rather than the gain that counts in that situation, and the front-end of
the TV's receiver should already be as good at picking the signal out of
the noise as is possible for competitively-priced electronics.

--
Dave Farrance
Old December 13th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why
such a device would need an aerial!

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html

Then "merkin" was coined afresh to mean "an American", because it
sounds a bit like the half-swallowed pronunciation of "American" by
some Americans, particularly President Lyndon Johnson; and the fact
that it had a "naughty" meaning didn't hurt.

Never heard of irony?

Peter Crosland

Old December 13th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why
such a device would need an aerial!

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html

Then "merkin" was coined afresh to mean "an American", because it
sounds a bit like the half-swallowed pronunciation of "American" by
some Americans, particularly President Lyndon Johnson; and the fact
that it had a "naughty" meaning didn't hurt.

Never heard of irony?

Peter Crosland

I've heard of it, even been known to use it.
Sadly, I missed it on this occasion.

My first exposure to the word "merkin" caused me to do a Google, and
resulted in some amusement and confusion!

Old December 13th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , Max Demian
writes
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , malcolm
writes
My ariel is up on roof apex facing emley moor.

Not the best place for a motorbike; neither would a Shakespearean
character be best pleased.

The one half way up the front of BBC Broadcasting House doesn't seem to
mind.

I had forgotten that one.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old December 13th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , Peter
Crosland writes
Max Demian wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
The correct spelling is AERIAL.

Or antenna if you're merkin.

Now I am really struggling to get, as they say, my head round this.
According to my dictionary a merkin is a pubic wig and I wonder why
such a device would need an aerial!

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html

Then "merkin" was coined afresh to mean "an American", because it
sounds a bit like the half-swallowed pronunciation of "American" by
some Americans, particularly President Lyndon Johnson; and the fact
that it had a "naughty" meaning didn't hurt.

Never heard of irony?

You mean iron like, as a 'merkin might say.

--
Ian G8ILZ