OT - FM aerial

Old December 13th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Default OT - FM aerial

In article ,
Tim.. wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"Tim.." wrote in message
I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned
firm pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the distance)

You're barmy using a big FM aerial somewhere where you have LOS to a
powerful transmitter.

Please elabourate Bill...

LOS = Line of sight. If you have line of site to a transmitter, then your
tuner would probably overload with a big aerial - but you haven't really
got line of sight, have you? Can you see the mast top lights?

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 13th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Tim.." wrote in message
I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned
firm pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the distance)

You're barmy using a big FM aerial somewhere where you have LOS to a
powerful transmitter.

Please elabourate Bill...

LOS = Line of sight. If you have line of site to a transmitter, then
your
tuner would probably overload with a big aerial - but you haven't really
got line of sight, have you? Can you see the mast top lights?

Thank you Charles. Also, was he talking abot FM as I assumed from the
subject line, or DAB?

Old December 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

"Tim.." wrote in message
I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned
firm pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the
distance)

You're barmy using a big FM aerial somewhere where you have LOS to a
powerful transmitter.

Please elabourate Bill...

LOS = Line of sight. If you have line of site to a transmitter, then
your
tuner would probably overload with a big aerial - but you haven't really
got line of sight, have you? Can you see the mast top lights?

Thank you Charles. Also, was he talking abot FM as I assumed from the
subject line, or DAB?

I think he might be a bit confused, but the same principle applies to both.
But he does need to get the correct aerial.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 13th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim..

"charles" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

"Tim.." wrote in message
I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned
firm pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the
distance)

You're barmy using a big FM aerial somewhere where you have LOS to a
powerful transmitter.

Please elabourate Bill...

LOS = Line of sight. If you have line of site to a transmitter, then
your
tuner would probably overload with a big aerial - but you haven't
really
got line of sight, have you? Can you see the mast top lights?

Thank you Charles. Also, was he talking abot FM as I assumed from the
subject line, or DAB?

I think he might be a bit confused, but the same principle applies to
both.
But he does need to get the correct aerial.

Of course.. am aware on not wanting to overload with too much signal.. I
have approximate line of sight of Sutton coldfield- though its about 50miles
as the crow flies....

Tim..

Old December 13th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Tim.. wrote:

Of course.. am aware on not wanting to overload with too much signal.. I
have approximate line of sight of Sutton coldfield-

what about all the hills in the way?

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old December 14th 06, 01:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"charles" wrote in message
Tim.. wrote:

Of course.. am aware on not wanting to overload with too much signal.. I
have approximate line of sight of Sutton coldfield-

what about all the hills in the way?

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Now it really is a very pretty garden.
And Chingford on the Eastward can be seen.
With a ladder and some glasses
You could see to Hackney Marshes,
If it wasn't for the houses in between.

I think that at fifty miles from SC we'll let him off. He can have his
multi-element beam.