OT - FM aerial

Old December 13th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default OT - FM aerial

In article , Paul Ratcliffe
writes
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:41:01 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

Use a decent dipole, cover the end of the coax inside the connection
point in self amalgamating tape were you split the inner core from the
braid, then waterproof with grease after making the connections. Centre
to the element pointing up and braid pointing down.

That doesn't sound like a decent dipole - no balun :-(

Agreed, but who makes decent Band II aerials? I want one...

Triax and Antiference. Available from CPC online, and not too expensive.

Jaybeam do very good ones but a tad expensive for domestic use and the
"wrong" 50 ohm impedance..
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim..

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Ok, That little lot has explained afair bit.

I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned firm
pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the distance) on its own
fly lead for the moment. Then possibly go to the extreme of combining it
with the DTV signal down the same cable.

Run separate cables if you can.. combine if you absolutely cannot!..

Can you say where you are or postcode even?..

Postcode - SY7 0HJ - South shropshire, not far from the powys border nr
Clun.

Bill - For TV / DTV reception we have - 18db W aerial, on a 3m pole, and a
mast head twin output 16db amp. Can get most of the DTT channels, and
terestial thats perfectly watchable, but slightly grainy.

So less FM aerial could be better? What would you suggest??

Tim..

Old December 13th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Tim.. wrote:
"tony
Postcode - SY7 0HJ - South shropshire, not far from the powys border nr
Clun.

Bill - For TV / DTV reception we have - 18db W aerial, on a 3m pole, and a
mast head twin output 16db amp. Can get most of the DTT channels, and
terestial thats perfectly watchable, but slightly grainy.

So less FM aerial could be better? What would you suggest??

You appear to be in a fairly remote spot.

If you're getting TV from the Wrekin, then that's your best bet for
DAB. The Wrekin only carries two FM stations, Beacon Radio, and BBC
Shropshire. National radio and a few local commercial stations plus BBC
WM are available for you from Sutton Coldfield (north of Brum).
Alternatively national radio, plus Wyvern and BBC Hereford/ Worcs can
be obtained from Ridge Hill (south east of Hereford). You are in a
fringe area for all three transmitters mentioned, so my vote goes for
directional yagi type aerials for DAB and FM, and reasonable gain too,
perhaps 4 - 6 elements for FM, and the same for DAB. However it really
depends upon immediate local conditions. Also what are your preferred
stations you wish to receive ? If might end up being easier (and
cheaper if you're going to get a rigger out ) to use Freesat, unless
you want local radio ? Freesat will give you better audio quality than
DAB too.

Old December 13th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Tim.. [email protected]
btinternet.com writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Ok, That little lot has explained afair bit.

I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned firm
pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the distance) on its own
fly lead for the moment. Then possibly go to the extreme of combining it
with the DTV signal down the same cable.

Run separate cables if you can.. combine if you absolutely cannot!..

Can you say where you are or postcode even?..

Postcode - SY7 0HJ - South shropshire, not far from the powys border nr
Clun.

Nice location:-)

Bill - For TV / DTV reception we have - 18db W aerial, on a 3m pole, and a
mast head twin output 16db amp. Can get most of the DTT channels, and
terestial thats perfectly watchable, but slightly grainy.

So less FM aerial could be better? What would you suggest??

Seems your on the fringe for most stations certainly Sutton Coldfield
but go for an external 4 or 5 element good grade satellite type CT100
cable and I reckon that should do the bizz.....

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/suttoncoldfield/maps.asp

Tim..

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

Mark Carver wrote:

Tim.. wrote:
"tony
[...]

DTT radio will be better than DAB. If you can get FM sorted that
should be best of all, since you won't have the problems I have with
local pirate stations bleeding all over the spectrum.
Old December 13th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Phil Cook wrote:

DTT radio will be better than DAB. If you can get FM sorted that
should be best of all, since you won't have the problems I have with
local pirate stations bleeding all over the spectrum.

Shropshire has a reputation for Pirate Radio:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension_FM

And then there was Ludlow's Sunshine Radio that had notoriety in the
1980s, now legal.

But as you say, nothing to compare with the appalling mess now in London

Old December 13th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim..

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Bloody awful location for any decent TV reception!!

I was thinking along the lines of the Triax 4 element FM aerial here

http://www.scantec.org.uk/fe/product...pg=0&archive=0
??

TIA
Tim..

Old December 13th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , tony sayer
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Come to think of fit you might try Ridge Hill to the south as well...

Tim..

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Tim.. the.farm.ha
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.scantec.org.uk/fe/product...tegory_id=11&c
urrent_pg=0&archive=0
??

TIA
Tim..

Good choice .. but get the Five if you can and the cable CT100 or
equivalent. When you come to put it up get it as high as possible and
try more than the one transmitter!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim..

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"Tim.." wrote in message
I think I shall test out a 3 or 5 bar Yagi from the afforementioned firm
pointed at sutton (we have line of sight, despite the distance)

You're barmy using a big FM aerial somewhere where you have LOS to a
powerful transmitter.

Please elabourate Bill...

Tim..