Torchwood moves to CBBC where it belongs

Old December 12th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Default Torchwood moves to CBBC where it belongs

Adrian B wrote:
Plenty of shows manage to
do "gritty" without the colourful language. For example, 24 can be
quite explicit in terms of violence, but you never hear anything
worse than the occasional "goddammit".

Interesting that you should worry about bad language but not about
violence...

I remember being amused by Alex Cox's re-editting of "Repo Man" for TV; he
was told he couldn't use the word "mother****er", so he redubbed all
occurrences with the word "melonfarmer". He claimed to be very pleased with
the result.

Old December 12th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Heavyhorses

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Russell wrote:

RTD now has the choice of two programs for his stories,

Are you being ironic, or is that a spelling mistake ?

Torchwood returns for series two
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6172167.stm

Old December 12th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:05:12 -0000, "Pyriform"
wrote:

I remember being amused by Alex Cox's re-editting of "Repo Man" for TV; he
was told he couldn't use the word "mother****er", so he redubbed all
occurrences with the word "melonfarmer". He claimed to be very pleased with
the result.

Yes, I believe this was the inspiration behind www.melonfarmers.co.uk
which deals with the very subject of the particular form of
controlfreakery known as censorship.

Old December 12th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:49:35 -0000, "Adrian B"
wrote:

In fact, the use of bad language in Torchwood has been occasional, with some
episodes completely free of it. My kids have been allowed to watch one
episode un-altered and two more with minor editing. I know that other kids
are being allowed to watch them all un-cut - which I find inappropriate. The
link with Dr Who must be causing many parents a headache as Pester Power
kicks in. Perhaps the BBC could re-edit most of them into a "12" format or
similar. Clearly that wouldn't be possible for some.

I cannot help wondering if the crazy working hours necessary to make
television programmes may be selecting in favour of people who for one
reason or another have no family commitments. If the business contains
an unrepresentative bias in favour of such people then perhaps we
should not be surprised if their output contains such a lot of
material that is best appreciated by others of like mind.

Old December 12th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wilson

wrote:

[...]

Possibly not just the crazy working hours... Most actors and actresses I
know live their lives out of suitcases. They rarely get a chance to stay in
one place for very long.

Old December 12th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Stevo

Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:37:39 GMT, soup wrote:

Methinks it is VERY variable in quality, last night's was a very low
one. Although it is set in the same universe as Dr Who I do not
think it should be compared. Having said it shouldn't been
compared, in amongst all the good Dr Who episodes there was a lot of
dross.

It's made by the same production team that did such a splendid job of
renovating a 40 year old programme idea into the brilliant family
teatime fantasy that Doctor Who seems to have set out to be, and
making it presentable for today's viewers.

Paul McCartney wrote The Frog Chorus song, it doesn't make it a classic
song though does it?!

a few odd things along the way, but I find it a bit more difficult to
imagine all the oddities in the universe converging upon Cardiff.

Quite a lot of the Universes oddities actually live in Cardiff!

I'm watching the series, but so far not with the same enthusiasm
as for Doctor Who, so I hope they decide soon to go back to
what they are good at.

Indeed.

Old December 12th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Stevo

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:45:02 -0000, "John Russell"
wrote:

RTD now has the choice of two programs for his stories, Dr Who, for
the family, and Torchwood for adults. I wish when he thinks he has
good idea he doesn't just use it in the series he is doing at the
time. He should have kept last nights story, and the presentation
style, for Dr Who, and also now move all his adult content from Dr
Who to Torchwood.

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

Really? As you like anagrams. Hits is an anagram of ****. So when
people go on about Torchwood being one of the biggest hits on Digital
TV, you'll know what they mean so.

Old December 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
GRAHAM WALKER

well my 6 year son & 3 year old daughter watches cbbbies WHATS YOUR EXCUSE
"Agamemnon" wrote in message
Well it really belongs on Cbeebies but the CBBC DOG that was on screen for
the first 5 or 10 minutes describes the intelligence level of the stories
pretty aptly. It's a pity it didn't stay there until the end of the
episode which would have fitted perfectly between Basil Brush and Blue
Peter.

Was it deliberate?

Old December 13th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Stephen Wilson wrote:

Possibly not just the crazy working hours... Most actors and actresses I
know live their lives out of suitcases. They rarely get a chance to stay in
one place for very long.

Well with those in Torchwood it seems they could buy a home in Cardiff.

--
Mark