Torchwood moves to CBBC where it belongs

Old December 11th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bohica

Default Torchwood moves to CBBC where it belongs

Yeah, or the BBC has the ability to let a show run and find its legs. This
is one of the things the BBC can do, where as other, comercial channels
can't or won't.

Many people are saying that TW is improving week by week. So why not give
it some space?

I've watched Torchwood from the start and up to a point it was getting
better, but must admit that last nights show was abysmal. The one I liked
the most was the one with the people disappearing in the woods one and they
were storing body parts for the harvest, however, again I must confess that
the ending was a bit lack lustre considering the build up and the tension
being created in some scenes.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a distinct lack of aliens and
effects are a bit thin on the ground. I also think its a bit Welsh centric.
And Captain Jack needs to be a more twisted - although he does try, he's not
convincing enough.

Old December 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Bohica" wrote in message
[...]

Now if it was set in London and every one spoke with London or Home Country
accents you wouldn't even notice!

It's set in Cardiff, so you expect to have Welsh characters. Notice that the
lead guest actor who played the Ghost wasn't Welsh, and didn't even act
being Welsh!

Perhaps when the Welsh die they start speaking with a Home Counties accent?

Old December 11th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:45:02 -0000, "John Russell"
wrote:

"Agamemnon" wrote in message
Well it really belongs on Cbeebies but the CBBC DOG that was on screen for
the first 5 or 10 minutes describes the intelligence level of the stories
pretty aptly. It's a pity it didn't stay there until the end of the
episode which would have fitted perfectly between Basil Brush and Blue
Peter.

Was it deliberate?

Perhaps someone had seen a preview and thought it was the new Jackanory!

I like Torchwood, but it has been hyped as RTD's X-files, going out after
the watershed.

RTD now has the choice of two programs for his stories, Dr Who, for the
family, and Torchwood for adults. I wish when he thinks he has good idea he
doesn't just use it in the series he is doing at the time. He should have
kept last nights story, and the presentation style, for Dr Who, and also now
move all his adult content from Dr Who to Torchwood.

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.
Old December 12th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:37:39 GMT, soup wrote:

Methinks it is VERY variable in quality, last night's was a very low
one. Although it is set in the same universe as Dr Who I do not think
it should be compared. Having said it shouldn't been compared, in
amongst all the good Dr Who episodes there was a lot of dross.

It's made by the same production team that did such a splendid job of
renovating a 40 year old programme idea into the brilliant family
teatime fantasy that Doctor Who seems to have set out to be, and
making it presentable for today's viewers. It's possible to suspend
disbelief to the extent of accepting that if you can travel in space
and time through the entire universe, then you will probably encounter
a few odd things along the way, but I find it a bit more difficult to
imagine all the oddities in the universe converging upon Cardiff.
(Wales can't be *that* weird, even if they have got a place called
"Splott"). I'm watching the series, but so far not with the same
enthusiasm as for Doctor Who, so I hope they decide soon to go back to
what they are good at.

Old December 12th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

RTD now has the choice of two programs for his stories, Dr Who, for the
family, and Torchwood for adults. I wish when he thinks he has good idea he
doesn't just use it in the series he is doing at the time. He should have
kept last nights story, and the presentation style, for Dr Who, and also now
move all his adult content from Dr Who to Torchwood.

I wish "adult content" didn't just mean the same kind of stories with
every character saying "****" every other line, and the depiction of
some very unprofessional conduct between colleagues.

I've yet to see a TV drama where the so-called "adult content"
couldn't simply have been omitted without altering the point of the
story in any way, giving the impression that it was effectively stuck
on afterwards for the sake of a late night transmission slot, or not
properly woven into the plot in case somebody objected and it had to
be removed. I think I'm as broad minded as anybody, but I'm not
entertained by deliberate ugliness if there's no reason for it.

Old December 12th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

John Russell wrote:

RTD now has the choice of two programs for his stories,

Are you being ironic, or is that a spelling mistake ?

Old December 12th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
I've yet to see a TV drama where the so-called "adult content"
couldn't simply have been omitted without altering the point of the
story in any way, giving the impression that it was effectively stuck
on afterwards for the sake of a late night transmission slot, or not
properly woven into the plot in case somebody objected and it had to
be removed. I think I'm as broad minded as anybody, but I'm not
entertained by deliberate ugliness if there's no reason for it.

Although I have been quite enjoying Torchwood, I have to agree about the use
of "adult" language. It's almost always unneccecary and would not be missed
if it had been editted out. Plenty of shows manage to do "gritty" without
the colourful language. For example, 24 can be quite explicit in terms of
violence, but you never hear anything worse than the occasional "goddammit".

In fact, the use of bad language in Torchwood has been occasional, with some
episodes completely free of it. My kids have been allowed to watch one
episode un-altered and two more with minor editing. I know that other kids
are being allowed to watch them all un-cut - which I find inappropriate. The
link with Dr Who must be causing many parents a headache as Pester Power
kicks in. Perhaps the BBC could re-edit most of them into a "12" format or
similar. Clearly that wouldn't be possible for some.

Adrian

Old December 12th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Stewart Smith

Adrian B wrote:
[...]

Is that not because violence is fine on network TV in the US but
swearing is bad. There is plenty of swearing, and violence, in HBO shows
like the Sopranos and, especially, Deadwood.

Stewart
Old December 12th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
If there is another series.....

As it happens, it's just been announced :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...orchwood.shtml

Next time it will air on BBC2 first.

Adrian