TV to PC Speakers - Voltage mismatch?

Old December 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QuString

Default TV to PC Speakers - Voltage mismatch?

Apologies if OT, not sure where to ask.

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in
amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo
3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a voltage
for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks,
QS.

Old December 8th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills

QuString wrote:

Apologies if OT, not sure where to ask.

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with
built in amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV
in to a stereo 3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks,
QS.

The TV output is almost certainly designed to drive passive speakers -
rather than speakers with their own amplifier.
Is there an alternative output from the TV - perhaps called "line out" or
some such. If so, use that instead.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 8th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

"QuString" wrote in message
Apologies if OT, not sure where to ask.

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in
amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo
3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks,
QS.

Can you use a soldering iron?
Go to Maplins and get two 22k ohm skeleton preset potentiometers.

They three terminals.
Wire the cable from the TV across the outside 2 terminals
Wire the cable to the amplifier (speaker) to the centre terminal (wire)
and the braid to the outside terminal that carries the other braid.

Repeat for the other channel (L&R)
Adjust the two pots to balance the channels with no distortion.

I have often done this, and usually use a plastic 35mm film can to house
the pot(s).
--

Graham
%Profound_observation%

Old December 8th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
QuString wrote:

Apologies if OT, not sure where to ask.

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with
built in amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV
in to a stereo 3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

The TV output is almost certainly designed to drive passive speakers -
rather than speakers with their own amplifier.
Is there an alternative output from the TV - perhaps called "line out" or
some such. If so, use that instead.

Surely twin RCA connectors (aka phono sockets) will be "line out".

Can't you (the OP) just turn down the volume of the speakers (or for that
matter the TV)?

Or is there distortion?

--
Max Demian

Old December 8th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

QuString wrote:
Apologies if OT, not sure where to ask.

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in
amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo
3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a voltage
for the PC speakers?

Are you sure it's "line out"? I've seen RCA (phono) connectors misused
as raw speaker connectors.

What TV make/model is this?

--
Adrian C

Old December 8th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Graham" wrote in message

"QuString" wrote in message
[...]

I would have though it would be better to measure the resistance of the
portions of the pots and replace them with fixed resistors, then wrap the
whole in insulating tape.

--
Max Demian

Old December 8th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

"Max Demian" wrote in message
"Graham" wrote in message

"QuString" wrote in message
[...]

You mean Development would sign it off to Production.
He would probably need a QA dept. as well.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old December 12th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QuString

"Graham" wrote in message

You mean Development would sign it off to Production.
He would probably need a QA dept. as well.

We skipped full production. QA were happy with the installation after we but
it in a plastic box.

It works well, thanks.